Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2006 Z06 suspension, anyone care to break it down?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2006 Z06 suspension, anyone care to break it down?

I'm looking at a 2006 z06, id like to buy the car, but i have a couple of concerns regarding the suspension, and i was hoping some one here could enlighten me. I've always had trans am's, camaro's, and gto's. i know nothing of the corvette suspension except that the front uses a monotube design, and the rear has IRS. IRS i understand. but i don't really get the monotube. it has front shocks but no springs? the car looks lower than factory to me. but it doesn't appear to have anything aftermarket. the different modes on the car selectable through the gauge cluster... does that mean it has magnetic ride control? it does not have the selector switch on the console...

all of the tires have aggressive negative camber wear. factory size tires on factory rims. this tells me the car is too low, or is way out of alignment. it didn't drive that bad at speed though... would one of the selectable modes lower the actual height of the car? is the PFADT suspension upgrade (front coil overs, and sway bars as i understand it) going to cancel the ability to change modes?

Again, I'm assuming these modes are for the suspension, they may just be for the engine... i have no clue. too much computer stuff for me, feeling a bit overwhelmed. maybe i am inferring a little too much. Anyone who can fill in a blank please chime in. If you think you may know what would cause the negative camber wear, that is what i am most concerned about finding out. thanks guys.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only switched adjustments the select ride controls is the shocks. They are pretty nice for a mix of ride and comfort. The spring is a fiberglass composite leaf spring from left to right on both front and rear suspension cradles. It is super light

On all of the leaf spring ends there is whats referred to as "bolts" / height adjusters, they are manually adjustable and people tend to switch them out for shorter ones. The stock ones can be cut but can not be purchased without a complete spring.
You can buy aftermarket lowering bolts. The best lowering bolts are the ones that pivot and are made of stainless steel.

Keep it in mind that the original bolts may have been cut, replaced, or worn out to get it to the slammed look.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroRick
The only switched adjustments the select ride controls is the shocks. They are pretty nice for a mix of ride and comfort. The spring is a fiberglass composite leaf spring from left to right on both front and rear suspension cradles. It is super light

On all of the leaf spring ends there is whats referred to as "bolts" / height adjusters, they are manually adjustable and people tend to switch them out for shorter ones. The stock ones can be cut but can not be purchased without a complete spring.
You can buy aftermarket lowering bolts. The best lowering bolts are the ones that pivot and are made of stainless steel.

Keep it in mind that the original bolts may have been cut, replaced, or worn out to get it to the slammed look.
so the suspension is not truely independent?
and the shocks are magnetic and electronically adjustable?
what do they cost to replace? i had heard they were cheap, then i heard they were very expensive. i suppose they could be both depending on the brand.
it sounds to me that to maintain the selectable suspension, complete new leaf springs and aftermarket SS bolts would be the way to go. i dont like 4x4 ride height. i like the car to be flush with wheels, but im no camber gang fan either. my thought is select a setting that gives a lower height, and thereby relatively negative camber. (im assuming the car has toe/camber manual adjustments.) get the car aligned on that setting. if i need to clear a speed bump, use comfort setting and raise it up. if i want to do a photo shoot, use a more extreme lower setting and drop it flush. anyone know all the setting options and/or specifications of each?
Old 07-22-2017, 12:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

I own a C6Z also... Funny how F-body guys do that.

Front and rear both use a transverse leaf spring. The car has an IRS at both ends, but each end shares a spring. The ends flex, it is an independent suspension, no matter what anyone else says. It is height adjustable stock, if they aren't jammed which does happen. Folks can and do screw with the pads on the bolts, cutting the rubber off, but they also just wear out over time lowering the car simply from those rubber pucks wearing out.

Everything is adjustable. Coil-overs don't keep you from changing alignment. I sell Corvette parts too, including Pfadt and others, but don't overlook how well the leaf springs work when good shocks and bars are involved.... But some folks are just coilover crazy and common sense doesn't mean much to them.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: 2006 Z06 suspension, anyone care to break it down?