Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

1999 Z28 suspension rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1999 Z28 suspension rebuild

Just picked up a pretty much original 1999 Z28 convertible with 90,000 miles. The suspension is all original except for Viking coilovers on the front and lowering springs on the back. I like how low the car sits, but would like to rebuild the suspension. The car is a weekend driver and will probably never see a track. I read a lot on this forum about different suspension kits and would appreciate any recommendations. My end goal is to have a good all around handling suspension and keep the car lowered. Would a rebuild kit be enough? Is there anything I should definitely upgrade?

Last edited by jeff morgan; 07-23-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What do you mean by "rebuild kit"? Like a bushing kit?
If that is what you are talking about, stick with rubber bushings, 1LE style would be best:
http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...=357&ModelID=7
Poly bushings can bind when put in control arms that need to articulate and cause them to actually break.

If you want a suspension kit for great handling and ride quality look no further:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=90&ModelID=7
If you want coilovers to adjust the ride height yourself these are ideal:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=148&ModelID=7
Yes, your best bet is to start over as what you have now is not good for handling.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

The bushing kit JD mentioned above will bring your car's steering back to at least a "good as new", possibly "better than new" condition.
HANDLING is a term of much larger definition, and interpreted different by many. Many associate good handling with lack of bounce and sway in the body of the car. Some it is all about lateral grip and steering quickness. There is another crowd that defines good handling as the cars ability to keep steady state steering through a variety of conditions to include bumps, acceleration, deceleration, and varying degrees of body sway and slip angles. The quest for "all of the above" keep those German suspension engineers working overtime.
These things are never easy!

Last edited by stp001; 07-24-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

I have never owned one of these cars and really didn't know what to expect. My experience is with straight line drag race cars. I think I will probably go with a bushing kit and strano springs/koni shocks. Im pretty sure that the shock/spring setup that is on the back.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ Now that's info with entertainment!

OP- I have a convertible 01 camaro that went from completely stock beat up suspension that was old and car lived most of its life in NYC. Car felt clunky , steering response was "lazy" and over all it felt like if I turned right , the car didn't really want to but finally turned.

The shocks on your car are "made" for straight line performance. That's something I'd change first.

One of best advice I got on modding is to try one part to see if the car responds the way I wanted to. So although I bought everything together, I installed one thing at a time and went for a ride.

I did suspension last year , the adjustable shocks weren't around yet and watts link was out of my budget.

So the parts I used .

Old 07-28-2017, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Penske for all the cars

Quick Reply: 1999 Z28 suspension rebuild