Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Firebird Upper Control Arm Mount Bracket Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Firebird Upper Control Arm Mount Bracket Bushing

I am installing new front shocks on my 99 Trans Am and removed the upper control arm mounting brackets during the process. I found the passenger side was pretty crusty but it appears reusable after some cleanup. However, the rubber grommet (or bushing) that's sandwiched between the bracket and body is badly deteriorated.

I scoured my factory parts manual and cannot seem to locate a part number for it. I haven't yet found anything on the aftermarket either. I'll try the suspension companies on Monday to see what they say. Short of that, does anyone know of a replacement off the top of their head?
Attached Thumbnails Firebird Upper Control Arm Mount Bracket Bushing-img_0941.jpg  
Old 08-06-2017, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella
I am installing new front shocks on my 99 Trans Am and removed the upper control arm mounting brackets during the process. I found the passenger side was pretty crusty but it appears reusable after some cleanup. However, the rubber grommet (or bushing) that's sandwiched between the bracket and body is badly deteriorated.

I scoured my factory parts manual and cannot seem to locate a part number for it. I haven't yet found anything on the aftermarket either. I'll try the suspension companies on Monday to see what they say. Short of that, does anyone know of a replacement off the top of their head?
Mine was so badly deteriorated that it pretty much fell apart when i took mine out. Unfortunately no one makes that little bushing you have to go to the junkyard to find one or you can do like i did and order a used one off of ebay for like $10.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:31 PM
formerly 04 Rooster (2013-12-10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a box from the moog parts i just put on mine. says part number k6573

i may not be talking about the same part as quiet storm is though...
the part number im referencing is the rubber coated metal washer part that goes between the upper shock mount and the shock top nut. hope this makes sense.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 Rooster
i have a box from the moog parts i just put on mine. says part number k6573

i may not be talking about the same part as quiet storm is though...
the part number im referencing is the rubber coated metal washer part that goes between the upper shock mount and the shock top nut. hope this makes sense.
That is not the right part. The one you referenced goes at the top of the shock below the nut. The one which the OP is looking for goes all the way above that on top of the upper A-arm mount.

I don't think it is available separately. I had to buy all-new upper mounts, rubber isolators, and A-arms as a complete kit to replace my old ones. In my case, the mounts were rusted too though.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies. I guess I may have jumped the gun a bit. Based on what I saw pulling them apart, the grommets appeared to be in way worse condition that they really are. A wire brush and some hot, soapy water did wonders!

The grommets are marked 22112177 and 22112178. Neither are available from General Motors any longer.

Now to find some good control arm mounting brackets!
Attached Thumbnails Firebird Upper Control Arm Mount Bracket Bushing-img_1006.jpg   Firebird Upper Control Arm Mount Bracket Bushing-img_1007.jpg  
Old 08-10-2017, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My 98 that I had (that had never been touched before I got it) did not have those pieces in it. Weird.

My 99 currently also does not have them.

What are they for, exactly?
Old 08-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not totally certain, but I believe it's an insulator intended to absorb any jouncing between the body and control arm bracket.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe they are supposed to help keep out moisture but don't do a very good job at it. When I did my recent shock change my upper mounts were so rusted I bought a set on ebay and they were in the mount already and were in real good shape. Trying to just find the rubber part is like finding hen's teeth, you might try doing what i did. Good Luck.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks!

Just this week I found that Hawk's Performance sells good used mounting brackets. I received the necessary replacement and am good to go!

Quick Reply: Firebird Upper Control Arm Mount Bracket Bushing