Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni STR.T/Strano Spring

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I haven't forgotten about this post. I just haven't had time to do any work on the Camaro. Before I go further I want to remove the bump stops to see if anything changes.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I took the bump stops off all to together. They are poli so that might contribute to the harshness. Now even tho I thought about getting UMI/Strano coil-overs and removing the Koni's I would still like to figure out why the rear shocks are stiff.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
I took the bump stops off all to together. They are poli so that might contribute to the harshness. Now even tho I thought about getting UMI/Strano coil-overs and removing the Koni's I would still like to figure out why the rear shocks are stiff.
They need to be fitted. No bumpstops = you're gonna damage something and regret it.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheNutDriver
They need to be fitted. No bumpstops = you're gonna damage something and regret it.
"They need to be fitted" what does that mean??? I took the bump stops off to see if the jarring changed......it did but not really. "I THINK" the rear shocks aren't meant to work with a heavier spring. The valving can't control the spring.
I'm going to see how the shocks handle the stock springs, maybe they can handle them
Old 09-06-2017, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had Koni SA and DeCarbons with Strano springs (with MWC rear), and the rear always slammed into the bumpstops on a certain intersection if I was going any faster than 35-40MPH. Removing the metal spacer on the bumpstops helped but it still did it. Dips on the highway would do the same thing. The issue is less suspension travel, not shocks. Koni DA shocks can increase compression so they might help, but good luck finding some.

I also think the shocks will bottom out before the rear hits the body.

Last edited by _JB_; 09-06-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
"They need to be fitted" what does that mean??? I took the bump stops off to see if the jarring changed......it did but not really. "I THINK" the rear shocks aren't meant to work with a heavier spring. The valving can't control the spring.
I'm going to see how the shocks handle the stock springs, maybe they can handle them
It means you need bump stops fitting...not sure it can mean anything else.

Removing them won't solve anything, however for tests then yes ok...that's fine. The way you wrote it suggested you were removing them and that was the end of it. I just misunderstood. Poly bump stops are gonna make hitting the bumps hard as hell. Foam or rubber are really the only way to go if you can't stand the harshness. Swap the shocks out and see how it goes!
Old 09-07-2017, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was just removing the BS to see if they were the problem....., they were part of it. I'll be ordering new rubber BS this week. I really don't like the way the rear shock/spring behave together. There is an answer I just need to figure it out
Old 09-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted earlier in this thread that I periodically take off my Koni STR.T shocks and cycle them by hand from fully extended to fully compressed. Usually ~5-6 cycles will have them feeling "as good as new", they especially feel more consistent through out the range of movement.

I also realized that part of my "clumping on the passenger side" was that I did a poor job of tightening the passenger side front LCA bolt when I recently added the 1LE bushings. After a little wrench time that the passenger side no longer makes any noise. (btw, I have the UMI bolts w/ nylock nuts and they work great)
Old 09-11-2017, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Most of my complaint was coming from the bump stops. I'm still thinking about a coil over.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My Bilstein re-valves (Hotchkis springs) have been doing this for quite awhile. Get that bottom out sound seems like mostly on the passenger side over moderate bumps especially with others in the car. Thought it was other suspension items like rod ended lca's etc for years but all have been replaced. Now looking at just going Koni SA to get rid of this annoying ****.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you think the Koni's SA will change that? "I think" its the shock is bottoming out with the shorter spring.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

^^ I believe that's what it is as well. I've been reading some threads trying to see if better shocks will solve this. It's not like it just does it over large bumps, I just went for a drive and it hit hard going 25mph through a subdivision on a very small bump. The Bilstein's were valved for my springs, but they are now 10 years old. I'm not sure when it started, it possibly always did it but I just was not sure what it was exactly.

It's so annoying I'm about to the point to just spend the money and try it.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BrntWS6,
Are you on lowered springs (Hotchkis)? I want to try putting the stock springs back with the Koni's to see if it corrects the issues. I've also thought about putting the car on a drive on and removing the rear springs to see how low the car squats before the shock is compressed all the way. It might not mean a damn thing to anyone but I'll know and go from there.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, lowered ~1.25".
Old 09-18-2017, 04:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Poly stops are not helping. But if you are having this issue on small short bumps it's not the spring or the shock running out of travel. It's a lack of compression control from the shock. STR.T's are not super high in compression, Sports have quite a bit more in comparison. Bilstein's have more too, but over time they like anything wear.

I still wonder if there isn't a bad shock. Swap sides, see if the problem moves or not.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-18-2017, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I still Need to figure mine out, unfortunately I only had the car back for a couple weeks before it had to go back to get rattling exhaust fixed and transmission cooler added. So...no time to really dig in.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I am pretty confident this isn't a spring issue. Seriously. The complaint here isn't with Sports and it's over short quick hits which is a high piston speed damping situation. I think the cheaper shocks can't quite deal with that well enough.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi Sam, I think I have a bad shock is my issue. Just haven't had the car home long enough to check it. I'm pretty sure I got the premium Koni's when I upgraded, although it's been a few years, I doubt the car has many miles on them since I barely drive it. Eventually I'll get around to checking as soon as I get the car back

Joe Capela
Old 09-19-2017, 12:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Are yours yellow or orange?

The bumpstops, and the damping force in the shocks work hand in hand with the springs. Remember that my springs are some 40 pounds an inch stiffer than stock. We don't want them super stiff, lest you drive around in what seems like an empty one ton truck.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I am pretty confident this isn't a spring issue. Seriously. The complaint here isn't with Sports and it's over short quick hits which is a high piston speed damping situation. I think the cheaper shocks can't quite deal with that well enough.
I think you're right about the valving not being able to control the spring. Yeah, I really not too happy about that.

Quick Reply: Koni STR.T/Strano Spring