Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake parts for 18" Front 19" Rear Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake parts for 18" Front 19" Rear Rims

I have a 2002 Trans Am and have the original rotors and pads (about 53k miles); they still stop on a dime in the city, but at higher speeds, there is a noticeable difference since replacing the rims with larger ones. I have Corvette replica wheels (18" front, 19" rear), and I realize that there are some brake conversion kits. Can someone advise me on the parts I'll need to get to match the braking to the wheels. I was hoping for parts where a regular mechanic could install them without having any issues. I know some require some modifications, but I am trying to get the best parts that will provide good braking performance. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by silver2002
I have a 2002 Trans Am and have the original rotors and pads (about 53k miles); they still stop on a dime in the city, but at higher speeds, there is a noticeable difference since replacing the rims with larger ones. I have Corvette replica wheels (18" front, 19" rear), and I realize that there are some brake conversion kits. Can someone advise me on the parts I'll need to get to match the braking to the wheels. I was hoping for parts where a regular mechanic could install them without having any issues. I know some require some modifications, but I am trying to get the best parts that will provide good braking performance. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
You don't need a brake conversion on your street car for highway driving. You have a modern day (ish) performance car with relatively strong brakes, the problem is your pads are ****.
You need actual good brake pads. Not autozone ceramic replacements, you need something like hawk hps or equivalent - that will be a huge difference.
Ive done multiple triple digit stops on HPS pads and stock size rotors and could throw my passenger through the front window.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You don't need a brake conversion on your street car for highway driving. You have a modern day (ish) performance car with relatively strong brakes, the problem is your pads are ****.
You need actual good brake pads. Not autozone ceramic replacements, you need something like hawk hps or equivalent - that will be a huge difference.
Ive done multiple triple digit stops on HPS pads and stock size rotors and could throw my passenger through the front window.
This ^

I'd race on a road coarse for several laps on the factory setup but nice pads + rotors and they worked fantastically and were able to manage to lockup a tire and kick in ABS after being super hot with R-Compound tires. I only switched to bigger brakes because I was worried they were getting so hot after more laps. That being said they're more than adequate for street use.

Quick Reply: Brake parts for 18" Front 19" Rear Rims