Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Combining 2 Subframe Connectors? Anyone Done It?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017 | 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Combining 2 Subframe Connectors? Anyone Done It?

Currently have UMI 2 pt weld in and have for like 6-7 years. Would adding MWC "true" subframe be of any benefit? I feel that UMI subframe has helped my car out a good bit, but I also see the benefit in connecting the subframes like how MWC does.

Has anyone done this and would it fit? I could see a little angle grinder action to make the front fit with 2 connecting points.

TIA.
Old 08-15-2017 | 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Why not sell them for a bolt in 3 point version?

1 point up front, one point out back and one point to the floorpan. BMR and UMI sell them.
http://www.lmperformance.com/733947/...n-1993-02.html

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=197
Old 08-15-2017 | 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Do you change the miles in your sig every day or every time you post?
Old 08-15-2017 | 11:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Short answer; No

They both do essentially the same job. Connecting the rear subframe rails will not do anything for the chassis but add weight and bulk. The only thing you could do to increase any strength would be to add or swap to a connector that connects to the tunnel brace area to add lateral and torsional reinforcement

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-16-2017 | 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

MWC subframe connectors also fit like ****
Old 08-17-2017 | 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
MWC subframe connectors also fit like ****
It is not that they fit horribly but there is work involved with the installation. Granted we could eliminate that step but then the SFC would sit lower than what people would prefer. The front portion tucks right up to the subframe and the rear lays right under it. There is a portion of the floor that needs mild massaging toward the rear to allow the back portion to rest against the rear subframe.

We do understand everyone wants a world where everything just bolts in place with no other effort or work involved and that is why some companies offer things with a cheery on top and say how great they are even though they serve next to no purpose.

We are not that company we are based on performance and results because some understand that not every install is going to be easy to get the best results.

Now we try to simplify as much as possible however to reach from subframe to subframe which is the only way to tie the front and rear together with purpose just takes a little work with the F-Body platform.

I have been dealing with a recent customer that is switching from the bolt on SFC and even welded them in however his car still twist out of shape so he removed them for our SFC to get better results. He was promised that they would keep his convertible from twisting even being bolted in place and that was clearly not the case. We should have results very soon once he finishes the install of our true subframe connectors.
Old 08-18-2017 | 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Then maybe you shouldn't have your reps tell people over the phone that it fits with zero modification, not to mention the spacers I had to make even after smashing the **** out of my floor
Old 08-18-2017 | 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I apologize as I am not sure who would of stated this to you as there is only myself the other salesperson plus the owner and we all know how to install them and our web site even states slight modification needs to be done.

As for the spacer this is the first time I have ever heard of someone needing a spacer but install on these goes rather quick as here in shop it doesn't take us long to install them, we actually just did some last week for a customer.

Quick Reply: Combining 2 Subframe Connectors? Anyone Done It?