Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installed stock springs on koni lower perch and somehow car is higher?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

All I can think of is a Dane Cook skit right now...
Old 08-26-2017, 03:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
As mentioned above, the only things I can imagine that would cause this is if the spring was not properly compressed when the upper mount was installed, or if some goof at the shop failed to thread the spring ends fully into the grooves on the upper mount and lower insulator.

I have stock springs on the lower perch and it was a definite 3/4" drop.
yes the spring end isnt seated properly with the groove of the upper mount so im pretty sure that is causing it
Old 09-03-2017, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

Well i went ahead and fixed the way the springs were aligned and after initially putting it back on the ground the front was extremely high and measured in at 28.5 inches. Drive around a little and it lowered some but its still sitting at 27.5 inches which is what it was at before when the springs weren't aligned right. Hopefully if i drive it around for a little while longer it will drop some more. Ideally it should be between 26.75 and 27 inches if it lowers about 3/4 of an inch
Old 09-04-2017, 02:39 AM
12 Second Club

Drove around the car quite a bit today and its still sitting at the same height. I honestly have no idea what could be wrong unless somehow the used springs i bought are taller then my factory springs were.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had something kinda similar. But it was my sway bar causing issues. My links were installed wrong and over TQ. But it was causing my passenger side front to sit high. I'm on Koni SA on the lower perch with stock spring.

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
Drove around the car quite a bit today and its still sitting at the same height. I honestly have no idea what could be wrong unless somehow the used springs i bought are taller then my factory springs were.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm having a similar issue except with Str.t shocks (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...29-75-wtf.html)

Have you replaced anything else, like strut mounts? I'm wondering if Moog parts are a little taller.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rok_Star_Bars
Had something kinda similar. But it was my sway bar causing issues. My links were installed wrong and over TQ. But it was causing my passenger side front to sit high. I'm on Koni SA on the lower perch with stock spring.
Hmmm how much higher was it sitting though? Mine is maybe slightly higher then stock so its like 3/4 to an inch higher then it should be. Maybe i will unhook the sway bar and see if that does anything
Old 09-04-2017, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by _JB_
I'm having a similar issue except with Str.t shocks (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...29-75-wtf.html)

Have you replaced anything else, like strut mounts? I'm wondering if Moog parts are a little taller.
I have new moog strut mounts but they don't look any taller then the factory ones and if they were i don't think they would throw off the ride height by almost an inch. I did notice that the used springs i bought didnt have the yellow plastic tab that the factory springs usually have hanging on them so i think they might be aftermarket replacement springs and i have heard of people having issues with replacement springs riding alot higher then the oem ones.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm how much higher was it sitting though? Mine is maybe slightly higher then stock so its like 3/4 to an inch higher then it should be. Maybe i will unhook the sway bar and see if that does anything
It was sitting about 3/4" higher on the passenger side front. I chased everything. Went from Strano's to Factory springs, and the passenger side still sat higher. Last option was the sway bar, and yup that was the issue. Almost a torsion bar effect on the the lower control arm. I did new links and torqued to 18 ft lbs. Now I am 26 1/2" on both fronts, w/ Factory Spring, Koni SA lower perch. I cut one coil out of rear factory spring, install with spring isolator. And the rear measures 27" both side.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rok_Star_Bars
It was sitting about 3/4" higher on the passenger side front. I chased everything. Went from Strano's to Factory springs, and the passenger side still sat higher. Last option was the sway bar, and yup that was the issue. Almost a torsion bar effect on the the lower control arm. I did new links and torqued to 18 ft lbs. Now I am 26 1/2" on both fronts, w/ Factory Spring, Koni SA lower perch. I cut one coil out of rear factory spring, install with spring isolator. And the rear measures 27" both side.
hmmm interesting...i put new links on during the install because my stock ones broke while i was taking them off but maybe i torqued them down too much? Also they need to be torqued with the suspension loaded correct? If i could get to that height with the stockers that would be perfect
Old 09-05-2017, 01:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My WS6 is "stock" ride height, with factory shocks and springs - but it is about 3/4 of an inch higher than my friends stock height WS6. Are you sure this isn't just variation of stock height springs rather than an installation or hardware issue?
Old 09-05-2017, 03:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheNutDriver
My WS6 is "stock" ride height, with factory shocks and springs - but it is about 3/4 of an inch higher than my friends stock height WS6. Are you sure this isn't just variation of stock height springs rather than an installation or hardware issue?
in one of the above posts i did mention that i think it could be that the springs are just higher then my stock ones were...unfortunately for me to test out that theory i would have to find another set of stock springs to put on my car. I would use mine however i discovered one of them was actually broken when I removed my stock shocks. So for now just trying to eliminate other things it could possibly be.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

Well i went ahead and removed my endlinks and made sure to install them on ramps with the suspension loaded and then drove it around real quick and it still looks to be the same height. Gonna ride around on them for a while to see if somehow they settle more or something and if they dont gonna buy some different springs, will probably try another set of stockers
Old 09-09-2017, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Just for reference here is a before and after pic before is on the left and it was clearly lower stock
Old 09-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The top and lower spring mount are molded and have a recessed area that the end of the spring is supposed to sit nicely into. When you tighten the upper nut down and release tension on the spring, the top mount only has one way it's supposed to go to fit in the car, so you adjust the spring to match that upper mount and adjust the lower mount to match the bottom of the spring. It's not that hard but if the shop just put it together and released tension on the spring without paying attention to that, then yes, your car would sit slightly higher.

Any photos of your spring/shock assembly?
Old 09-15-2017, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by StoneColdLT1
The top and lower spring mount are molded and have a recessed area that the end of the spring is supposed to sit nicely into. When you tighten the upper nut down and release tension on the spring, the top mount only has one way it's supposed to go to fit in the car, so you adjust the spring to match that upper mount and adjust the lower mount to match the bottom of the spring. It's not that hard but if the shop just put it together and released tension on the spring without paying attention to that, then yes, your car would sit slightly higher.

Any photos of your spring/shock assembly?
everything has been realigned properly and its still at the same height. The only thing it can be at this point is the springs which i believe are sone aftermarket replacements based on other threads i have seen with people having similar issues. I just bought another set of stockers so i will see if they drop it down like i believe they should
Old 09-15-2017, 12:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Well there's the issue. Aftermarket springs like Moog and TRW are always really tall.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-15-2017, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Well there's the issue. Aftermarket springs like Moog and TRW are always really tall.
yup that seems to be the trend however i did talk to one person that bought the moog 60114 springs and he said his car is at stock height. I think the 60116 springs they sell are the ones everyone is having issues with but i would rather not risk it which is why i bought some used somewhat low mileage stockers for now.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Point being they weren't stock, which is the impression I got, and I think everyone else. You found your issue.

And it's why I do not sell those springs.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-15-2017, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Point being they weren't stock, which is the impression I got, and I think everyone else. You found your issue.

And it's why I do not sell those springs.
yeah i wouldn't either. I actually contacted moog and told them there are numerous people who used their springs and had issues with the height being drastically off and their reply was just that the factory springs were probably sagging and that their springs are made to factory specs. However as you already know their springs throw the height off by like an inch

Quick Reply: Installed stock springs on koni lower perch and somehow car is higher?