Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Braking Problem and Recommendations!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017 | 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Braking Problem and Recommendations!

I have noticed when I apply medium brake pressure at higher speeds that my pads don't seem to be grabbing well. If I could describe it I would say that my pads feel like they are literally skipping on the rotor. It seems as though I can barely lock my wheels up if I ever needed to. I have also noticed that my abs kicks in when doing this. Is this normal?! Also, I've always been a hawk pad fan, what pads and rotors will make my braking dramatically different? What are the hardest biting pads? Thank you

Last edited by Greekey; 08-25-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2017 | 08:06 AM
Save the manuals!
15 Year Member

This doesn't sound like a problem with your pads. I'll bet that if you replace the brake hardware and lube the slider pins well, they would feel like brand new brakes.

If you have stock brakes, the sleeves in the caliper brackets will flat spot over time and also cause binding. At some point, those caliper brackets also need replacement to keep the pins sliding freely.
Old 08-26-2017 | 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
This doesn't sound like a problem with your pads. I'll bet that if you replace the brake hardware and lube the slider pins well, they would feel like brand new brakes.

If you have stock brakes, the sleeves in the caliper brackets will flat spot over time and also cause binding. At some point, those caliper brackets also need replacement to keep the pins sliding freely.
Thank you I will start there!
Old 08-26-2017 | 08:54 PM
12 Second Club
20 Year Member

If you have old brake fluid that makes quite a difference as well. I would flush the brakes when you service your brakes. Check for even pad wear and rotor glazing.
Old 08-26-2017 | 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

If ur abs is kicking in sounds like abs is limiting ur stopping power by actuvating when it shouldnt. If thats the case than id tech 2 it to see if ur sensors are reading the same all around.
Old 08-26-2017 | 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Greekey
I have noticed when I apply medium brake pressure at higher speeds that my pads don't seem to be grabbing well. If I could describe it I would say that my pads feel like they are literally skipping on the rotor. It seems as though I can barely lock my wheels up if I ever needed to. I have also noticed that my abs kicks in when doing this. Is this normal?! Also, I've always been a hawk pad fan, what pads and rotors will make my braking dramatically different? What are the hardest biting pads? Thank you
I also just saw u mentioned higher speeds......do u have anything other than a 10 bolt rear? After my 9 inch swap, my abs inop kicks in after 30 seconds of 85 mph driving. If i take it up to 90 95 before the 30 seconds, and attemp to brake at all, my abs kicks in due to rear wheel speed sensors not reading true. After my abs lights kuck on, then i can brake at high speeds again. One of my sensors starts starts to go out at higher speeds. Unable to diagnose y the one craps out.

To rule out the abs, deactivate it by either pulling fuse, or pulling a connector from one of ur sensors and ziptie it up. Then drive and see if it does the same thing. If not, abs related

Last edited by Floorman279; 08-26-2017 at 09:33 PM. Reason: .....

Quick Reply: Braking Problem and Recommendations!