Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Risen from the dead.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Risen from the dead.

Hello everone. I am a past participatent of the old WS6 website. I have now recently acquired a 2002 SS with 40,000 miles. It is the closest thing to new not counting my previous 2002 SS that I recently sold with 20,000 miles. Anyway I was wondering what the form member's would recommend strictly for chassis upgrades which would enhance handling and driveability without creating a harsh and overly stiff riding car. I have been through the torque arm, control arm, spring, sway bar you name it scenario, pro stock rear end etc etc and created a phenomenally handling vehicle but at the expense of excessive road noise and vibrations that over a long day left me dazed and confused.
Believe it or not I initially think I will leave the stock size wheels and tires. I would appreciate some comments on spring & shock combos & control bushings. I have no problem with a slightly lower ride height. Hey, just wait until you are in your 70's and you'll also lean toward the geezer ride !
Thank you in advance for your constructive advice.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

welcome back!
Old 12-05-2017, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get some SUPER nice seats in there and call it a day. Nothing GEEZERED about an SS!
Old 12-05-2017, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Redrokit8
Hello everone. I am a past participatent of the old WS6 website. I have now recently acquired a 2002 SS with 40,000 miles. It is the closest thing to new not counting my previous 2002 SS that I recently sold with 20,000 miles. Anyway I was wondering what the form member's would recommend strictly for chassis upgrades which would enhance handling and driveability without creating a harsh and overly stiff riding car. I have been through the torque arm, control arm, spring, sway bar you name it scenario, pro stock rear end etc etc and created a phenomenally handling vehicle but at the expense of excessive road noise and vibrations that over a long day left me dazed and confused.
Believe it or not I initially think I will leave the stock size wheels and tires. I would appreciate some comments on spring & shock combos & control bushings. I have no problem with a slightly lower ride height. Hey, just wait until you are in your 70's and you'll also lean toward the geezer ride !
Thank you in advance for your constructive advice.

Actual good shocks will be the #1 suspension piece that will make the biggest difference, assuming everything is in fine working order and not totally worn down or broken. Koni sports are a go to off the shelf shock that will give you phenomenal handling and great ride quality.
Keep your stock spring and get a 35mm front, 21 or 22mm rear swaybar - or keep your stock rear bar.
RUBBER control arm bushings, oem 1LE replacements (moog should carry them).
Thats it! That is really all you need, everything else is either overkill or will do little to nothing for handling. That means you do NOT need an aftermarket torque arm, control arms, relocation brackets, or any chassis bracing - those will do little to nothing for handling and may create NVH that you are trying to avoid.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I am TOTALLY with JD_AMG on this- Konis (set on soft setting), stock springs, bigger front bar. I think you can stay with stock rear bar. I had this setup on my car for years, it was a nice ride - good around corners, not overly harsh. Good enough for a lot of AX fun (when Konis set to firm).
Old 12-06-2017, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Actual good shocks will be the #1 suspension piece that will make the biggest difference, assuming everything is in fine working order and not totally worn down or broken. Koni sports are a go to off the shelf shock that will give you phenomenal handling and great ride quality.
Keep your stock spring and get a 35mm front, 21 or 22mm rear swaybar - or keep your stock rear bar.
RUBBER control arm bushings, oem 1LE replacements (moog should carry them).
Thats it! That is really all you need, everything else is either overkill or will do little to nothing for handling. That means you do NOT need an aftermarket torque arm, control arms, relocation brackets, or any chassis bracing - those will do little to nothing for handling and may create NVH that you are trying to avoid.
Just wondering, is this also to say that even springs or lowering springs will not help handling that much if at all?
Old 12-06-2017, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red, this is just a longer winded response than my previous post. I recognize that you did ask for advice on minor upgrades in the chassis dept. The fact is, you already have that in the SS model. You already have wider tires, upgraded shocks and springs. Sure, are Koni Sports considered a higher quality shock than the Bilstein? Yes, but will you really feel a difference even driving at 9/10s. Stiffer sway bars are great, but don't really provide better handling until you are pushing pretty hard. Poly sway bar bushings are a cheap and easy modification, probably worth doing. In fact, as you already know, NO mods make much of a difference until you have exceeded the capabilities of the parts you are replacing. At 40,000 miles, your existing parts have a lot of capabilities.
As I mentioned before, seats make a big difference. After having high performance seats, I consider it the #1 mod. I would bet money you would find more satisfaction in your overall driving experience after spending the same amount of resources on seats as you would on springs and shocks. Definitely an easier/cheaper install. Every feeling that takes place in the car comes to you through the steering wheel and seat. Steering wheels are more of a compromise though as you give up the air bag and some electronic controls.

Last edited by stp001; 12-06-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Just wondering, is this also to say that even springs or lowering springs will not help handling that much if at all?
No no no sorry I should have clarified. He is looking to do things that wont hurt ride quality, lowering springs will make the ride stiffer and sometimes harsher over certain conditions but most certainly improve handling. Keeping the stock springs will give the best ride quality when paired with good shocks while still handling good.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stp001
Red, this is just a longer winded response than my previous post. I recognize that you did ask for advice on minor upgrades in the chassis dept. The fact is, you already have that in the SS model. You already have wider tires, upgraded shocks and springs. Sure, are Koni Sports considered a higher quality shock than the Bilstein? Yes, but will you really feel a difference even driving at 9/10s. Stiffer sway bars are great, but don't really provide better handling until you are pushing pretty hard. Poly sway bar bushings are a cheap and easy modification, probably worth doing. In fact, as you already know, NO mods make much of a difference until you have exceeded the capabilities of the parts you are replacing. At 40,000 miles, your existing parts have a lot of capabilities.
Not all SS's got bilsteins, Im actually pretty sure very few did. My advice was with the assumption that he had the decarbons that most cars got.
I replaced my "better WS6" decarbons right around 40,000-50,000 miles and it was by far the biggest improvement to my car to date.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

GOOD shocks first. GOOD sway bars second. GOOD lowering springs 3rd (if you want to lower the car). And a GOOD Watts link fourth.

Those are the big 4 with regard to performance handling. Note the word GOOD in those, because there are poor versions of all of those things out there.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-21-2017, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Listen to Sam as he "knows" these cars intimately.. For me ( 53 y/o) I am picking up another 99SS.. My first mods will include SAM STRANO springs, Bilsteins, UMI sways, LCA's, Adj PHR, SFC's, along with some 17x11's. To me, this is about as good as it gets with a 4th gen Fbod... I also own a nicely built C6Z06 and have owned built C5Z06's..That being said, I cut my teeth on Fbods and always find myself wanting another one. These are great cars right out of the box. Adding these items will enhance the capabilities of an already nimble car.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Z0H6
Listen to Sam as he "knows" these cars intimately.. For me ( 53 y/o) I am picking up another 99SS.. My first mods will include SAM STRANO springs, Bilsteins, UMI sways, LCA's, Adj PHR, SFC's, along with some 17x11's. To me, this is about as good as it gets with a 4th gen Fbod... I also own a nicely built C6Z06 and have owned built C5Z06's..That being said, I cut my teeth on Fbods and always find myself wanting another one. These are great cars right out of the box. Adding these items will enhance the capabilities of an already nimble car.
Thanks 01Z0H6!

After having C5's and a C6's (Z06's and Grand Sports), I also found myself wanting another F-body, something I can screw with more and not feel bad about losing a lot of value, which is why I bought one after having sold my White one 5 years or so ago.

Remember that I make sway bars too, and in fact was the first to make the 35/22 hollow setup. And I sell them for less too. Lots of springs in stock. Bilstein isn't a terrible choice but if you want the best handling car, I would look to Koni Sports, as well as a Watts Link.

Remember I am a full UMI dealer and honor their discounts when they offer them, (like tomorrow) if you want to stay on their bars, also on the Watts link.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-22-2017, 05:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Thanks 01Z0H6!

After having C5's and a C6's (Z06's and Grand Sports), I also found myself wanting another F-body, something I can screw with more and not feel bad about losing a lot of value, which is why I bought one after having sold my White one 5 years or so ago.

Remember that I make sway bars too, and in fact was the first to make the 35/22 hollow setup. And I sell them for less too. Lots of springs in stock. Bilstein isn't a terrible choice but if you want the best handling car, I would look to Koni Sports, as well as a Watts Link.

Remember I am a full UMI dealer and honor their discounts when they offer them, (like tomorrow) if you want to stay on their bars, also on the Watts link.
Hi Sam, curious here as well, where do sub-frame connectors fit in with the list you mentioned before (as in how effective in comparison to Shocks, Swaybars, Springs, ect are they?) What priority would you give them?

Quick Reply: Risen from the dead.