Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koin str.t and stranos!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018 | 10:13 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

From: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

I used the stock isolators on both the front and rear.
Old 06-20-2018 | 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

i used the stock isolators in the rear also. looking at the car it seems it would be too low in the back with the hose mod
Old 06-20-2018 | 12:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

The springs are designed to be run with the stock isolators, and you should always start with them in to see the result first. If you want to lower it more, you can do the hose mod from there.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-20-2018 | 01:09 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The springs are designed to be run with the stock isolators, and you should always start with them in to see the result first. If you want to lower it more, you can do the hose mod from there.
Good deal. Ill toss them on when I install the springs and stuff this weekend. Im stoked to get it all on!
Old 06-21-2018 | 03:35 PM
Teching In

So I'm at the part where I'm having to grind down my Moog spring isolators to fit inside the koni spring perches. Not sure if I got a bit too carried away with it (may actually be sitting too low in the perch possibly?), but as you can see in the pictures - the strano spring is quite a bit wider than the perch and just sits on top of the perch. The lowest part is not actually touching the locator and is just metal on metal, which can't be good. Should I just trash these moogs and go with something else like the monroe's?

Last edited by RedBeardedOne; 06-21-2018 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Sry, meant spring isolators not locators :x
Old 06-21-2018 | 04:23 PM
Teching In

I was originally following rolexrifleman's guide from a while back, but looking back he was using a set of springs off an '01 SS. His springs actually fit inside the spring seat whereas the stranos seems to be much wider. So taking that into consideration, its possible that the isolators shouldn't be sanded down as much. Otherwise the isolators sit too low in the seat and then you have the springs sitting on top of the seat and not actually on the isolator. Here's a picture of the isolator before I sanded it down. You can see already the spring is very close to touching the top of the seat, but the isolator is just floating on top and is no where near sitting comfortably inside the seat. Not sure what to do now??
Old 06-22-2018 | 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedBeardedOne

I was originally following rolexrifleman's guide from a while back, but looking back he was using a set of springs off an '01 SS. His springs actually fit inside the spring seat whereas the stranos seems to be much wider. So taking that into consideration, its possible that the isolators shouldn't be sanded down as much. Otherwise the isolators sit too low in the seat and then you have the springs sitting on top of the seat and not actually on the isolator. Here's a picture of the isolator before I sanded it down. You can see already the spring is very close to touching the top of the seat, but the isolator is just floating on top and is no where near sitting comfortably inside the seat. Not sure what to do now??
I noticed the same thing when I installed my Stranos, and I think it's just the size of the coils in his springs. The stock springs are a lower spring rate and use much smaller diameter coils. The Strano's are a higher spring rate and thicker spring coil, but overall the ID of the spring is the same/similar, so it sticks out farther.

I don't think you took too much off the isolator, because you're taking the material off the sides of it to make it fit into the cup - not off the bottom of the isolator making it shorter. Even if you bought the Monroe isolators that supposedly fit inside without shaving, I think you'd have the same issue. The spring just has a larger OD than the cup's ID, so it can't physically fit.

Either way I think you're over-thinking it - I've had no issues with mine that looked similar. If you're really worried about metal on metal then you could shave down the edge of the spring in that area, or put some heater hose over the end of it (although that might make you sit a bit higher). I'd just put it together though.

Quick Reply: Koin str.t and stranos!