Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Oversized steering column pivot pins

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Oversized steering column pivot pins

Hey guys had a question to ask. Got a 2001 trans am it has a little bit of the known steering wheel wobble from 12 o'clock position to 7 o'clock position. Has anyone tried replacing just the driver side oversized pivot pin on a trans am column and had most, not necessarily all slop taken out. And would doing just the driver side not be difficult to replace. Im assuming lower the entire column and remove cover by turn signal switch. Thanks guys.

Last edited by 01WS6BLACKLS1; 02-23-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Misspell word
Old 02-23-2018, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I replaced just the drivers side. I don't think the other side is really causing the slop at all. It is much better than it was. I have to pull down on it pretty good to get it to move.

It didn't remove all the slop so I'm a bit annoyed about that because it does still move when I don't expect it to. I seem to pull on the wheel pretty hard when autocrossing. It seems the only solution is to replace that piece that the pin goes into which isn't sold new any longer and requires a complete tear apart of the column.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice.. was it to much of a pain to replace the pin from what ive researched remove dash panel above where your knees and shins would be unbolt the 4 main bolts that support the column let it hang a little gently , then remove the cover by the turn signal switch correct. My car is at the father in laws for storage and wanna prep with what I need to do to repair. Thanks.

Last edited by 01WS6BLACKLS1; 02-23-2018 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Misspell word
Old 02-23-2018, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I didn't do all that. I just unscrewed the tilt column handle. Pop the two plastic caps off on the side of the column. Pry the old pin out and put the new pin in. It is a bit tricky to get it back together though. I don't have any pics which I needed to get it back together... I would google and find pics and details on how to do it this way.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man, thats what i came across on the website to purchase the pins. Will do what you did.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

I redid my column a couple weeks ago. You'd be surprised how much slack the passenger side pin can have. My drivers side slid right out and the passenger side needed the puller to come out, but it wasn't much of a struggle. Both oversized pins went in about the same which told me the passenger wasn't too far behind the drivers in wear. Column is rock solid now. I just wish I swapped the steering shaft while I was in there.