Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Help With Front Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help With Front Springs

I've finished all of the mods on my SS and have it back on the road. Rides/handles/stops great. Very happy with all of the mods with the exception of the front springs. I have the SLP Level II springs installed (300/450 progressive). They barley dropped the front end at all. The back looks great and the car does sit level but the larger front wheel/fender gap looks a little too nose up for my taste. The rear is sitting at 26.75 inches (2 fingers) but the front sits at 27.5 (3-4 finger gap). I'm wondering if I should cut a 1/2 coil off the front (would this be enough?) or just buy a new set of springs. Any thoughts or suggestions.

I know I probably should not have gone with these springs based on the feedback I've seen on this site, but actually thought they were just the normal Eibach Prokit. Wasn't until later I realized they are different.

I'm getting real good at taking the front end apart and had everything powder coated so will not take much effort to change.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

I've got a '99 SS with the Level one Bilstien suspension, and had pretty much the same measuremeants, it had about a 4 finger gap over the front wheel with the SLP Eibachs and SLP Bilsteins. Truly looked like I should have been able to go muddin'. I dumped both for revalved HD Bilsteins and the Eibach prokit, now it's less than a two finger gap at the front.

Handles fantastically now, I'm very happy with it.

edit: Since SLP no longer modifies any fbodies from the factory, I think they now market the Bilstein level I & II kits as the names you gave.

Oh, make sure you go with poly anti-sway bar bushings and endlinks.
You won't regret it!
Old 07-04-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just pull weight out of the back end of the car
Old 07-04-2004, 11:26 PM
Launching!

I think cutting a 1/2 coil off the front is worth a try
Old 07-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cutting one coil off the front springs will bring it down slightly over one inch; around 1.125 I would guess. I'd just cut them and be done with it, and dollars ahead. But don't torch them, use a fiber cut off wheel in a chop saw or die grinder. That keeps the heat down so you don't take the temper out of the springs.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:30 AM
On The Tree

Johnnybgoode - did you (or anyone else w/ SLP progressive rate springs) end up cutting your front springs? I have a similar setup with the exact same problem...2-finger gap rear/4 in front...

With the progressive rate springs, the lower coils are really close together (compared to the stock springs). I just want to get an idea of how much to remove (1 coil?) to get an inch lower in the front.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Retsik. I ended up replacing the SPL front springs with the Eibach Pro Kit. Car has a great stance now, just slightly lower in the front and handels well. The Pro Kit brought it down another inch over the SLP springs. Sorry, don't know how much you would need to cut the SLP springs other than the responses that I got to this post.

Good Luck. Scott

Originally Posted by Retsik
Johnnybgoode - did you (or anyone else w/ SLP progressive rate springs) end up cutting your front springs? I have a similar setup with the exact same problem...2-finger gap rear/4 in front...

With the progressive rate springs, the lower coils are really close together (compared to the stock springs). I just want to get an idea of how much to remove (1 coil?) to get an inch lower in the front.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Front Springs