Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Max Brakes Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Max Brakes Anyone?

Has anyone run these on their f-body? Cheap, but they are made in Canada, which is pretty damn close to being US made in my opinion.

https://maxbrakes.com/i-17687203-eli...brake-kit.html

I've used them on a couple of vehicles, including my truck with a wheel/tire combo significantly over 100 pounds a piece. They've got at least 30K miles of daily highway speed to crawl, highway speed to crawl driving, with a bunch of bumper to bumper and towing. So for the truck I like em. PAds still have life and I can't warp them. I just bought a set for my CTS, and even though I couldn't find them anywhere on line in the black coated version (car has a factory big brake option), I gave them a call and they said they'd manufacture them at no extra cost. Sold.

I have lost my brakes (whatever autozone/tire store special combo the PO put on it) playing around on back roads so I I'll need to do something eventually.

Not in a hurry, but thinking about these. Anyone run them? They are so cheap, but feel and perform very well so far.

Last edited by AnotherWs6; 04-05-2018 at 08:14 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link deleted
Old 04-06-2018, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure these are made in Canada, and not made overseas and distributed from Canada? Maybe machined in Canada but cast somewhere else? I'm not trying to knock them at all (and I think good products can come from China too), just genuinely curious - Markham is about 45 minutes from where I live, and I never realized there was manufacturing to that degree there.

I would say if you've had success with them on your other vehicles then go for it! I really like that they are fully coated and the brake pad will wear away the finish only where it touches. I've bought rotors that had e-coated top hats and vanes, but the whole rotor face is machined, and because the pads leave a tiny strip where they don't touch, there's an ugly little strip of rust around the inside. The way these guys do it fully coated, the pad will wear away the finish where it touches and have 100% coverage.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

shiiiit that's cheap as hell. I don't think even at my jobber/government contract pricing I can get that low for a full set of brakes and rotors. I'll have to poke around on their site but wonder if they offer up anything for those that do the ATS swap. I'm in the process of gathering pieces for that now.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I haven't had issues with Duralast Gold rotors for something like our truck (03 2500HD Silverado). It tows my camaro on an open car trailer and up to a 2 horse bumper pull trailer. I have HPS pads on the front and generic pads on the rear.

I like a pad with higher than normal initial bite for street or autocross, so I run either a power stop or rotor pros rotor (I forget what I bought) and HP+ pads. Dust like hell but I like the bite.

I like the brakes on our truck vs my wife's 08 Lexus IS250...the Lexus brakes feel numb and don't give me confidence in a "oh ****" moment. Soon to upgrade rotors and pads on that too.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

subbed for more info. lol
Old 04-09-2018, 11:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I have ls1 front brakes on my g body and run those same pads and rotors on my car with no issues.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
I have ls1 front brakes on my g body and run those same pads and rotors on my car with no issues.
how's the bite and stopping power compared to standard or generic ceramic brake pads from weaver/duralast gold?
Old 04-09-2018, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Brakes are an area where I wouldn't be looking to save money. Look for a quality name brand blank rotor and something like EBC or Hawk or one of the name brand pads.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

handyandy - No, I'm not sure. After looking at their website in more detail I'm kinda doubtful now. But they seem very good quality wise. And yeah, the way the finish the rotors is pretty cool and effective.

biketopia - they seem to have something for most cars. If not just call.

onebadbowtie86 - good to hear from somebody else.

1bdbrd - I agree, but I've had a very good experience with them. My truck has literally chewed every other brake setup to **** eventually. EVERY brake change was because something went wrong. These are the first ones to hold up to heavy use for this many miles. Why would I use something else?

I'm just wondering if anyone has used them in a "performance" application.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I dont run junk brakes on any of my vehicles, I came across these on another forum that someone else was using a few years ago. The seem to have plenty of stopping power, low dust from the pads. I went straight from stock g body front brakes to these so cant really compare auto parts stock replacement camaro brakes to these.

Last edited by onebadbowtie86; 04-14-2018 at 07:54 PM.