Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

DeCarbon to Bilstein

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DeCarbon to Bilstein

Since Bilstein does not come with spring seats, what is the best choice? DeCarbon if you can get them off, or Moog P/N K80927 which appear to be a bitch to get on per posts, or Monroe P/N 904962 which includes an isolator? Anyone know?
Old 05-26-2018, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the moogs available on rock auto. I took a file to the small cutouts to get rid of the flash (that's what usually keeps them from slipping on), and they went on no problem.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Most folks seem to like the Koni shocks, which have a rebate going on through the end of this month. Many of our sponsors (Vendor Directory at the top of the page) are also running specials on top of that for the Holiday, so you might be interested in also checking that out.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Most folks seem to like the Koni shocks, which have a rebate going on through the end of this month. Many of our sponsors (Vendor Directory at the top of the page) are also running specials on top of that for the Holiday, so you might be interested in also checking that out.
I did the STRs a few years back and had a tough time re-shaping the spring isolator due to the spring seat being too small in diameter. didn't want to go thru that again!
Old 05-27-2018, 06:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GtoProject
I went with the moogs available on rock auto. I took a file to the small cutouts to get rid of the flash (that's what usually keeps them from slipping on), and they went on no problem.
Thanks. Makes sense.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:08 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Koni Sports don't require any modification to the isolator, or at least mine didn't. It seems weird to me that the spring seat on the STRs isn't plug and play.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BTC
Koni Sports don't require any modification to the isolator, or at least mine didn't. It seems weird to me that the spring seat on the STRs isn't plug and play.
Koni knows about it! Said they have been intending to fix it!
Old 06-01-2018, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the Koni STR's, 5 minutes on a bench grinder and you are good to go. Or 30 with a dremel.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper
For the Koni STR's, 5 minutes on a bench grinder and you are good to go. Or 30 with a dremel.
Was just going to say this - takes about 5 mins on a bench grinder. Could even likely get it done with an exacto knife if you're really hard pressed.

Not trying to sound like an ****, but if taking a bit of material off the soft plastic isolator is a big hassle, then the rest of the job might be best left for a mechanic. It's a minor inconvenience that shouldn't affect anyone's decision about which struts to buy.

Also I've heard others say the Monroe isolators fit in the Koni's just fine, but I can't say I know that first hand.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by handyandy
Also I've heard others say the Monroe isolators fit in the Koni's just fine, but I can't say I know that first hand.
This was mentioned in another Strano/Koni thread. It was said they fit fine in the Koni perch with no grinding needed. Thats the one I was going to order.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just used the decarbon perches. Once the shocks were off the car, I cut the top nut off, removed the spring and knocked the perches off. cleaned them up, job done.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by handyandy

Not trying to sound like an ****, but if taking a bit of material off the soft plastic isolator is a big hassle, then the rest of the job might be best left for a mechanic. It's a minor inconvenience that shouldn't affect anyone's decision about which struts to buy.
i used a sanding disc on my die grinder myself.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

I used my original isolaters with the supplied koni perches. I just put them in the deep freeze for half an hour or so first. Popped in no problem.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:23 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNutDriver
I just used the decarbon perches. Once the shocks were off the car, I cut the top nut off, removed the spring and knocked the perches off. cleaned them up, job done.
Yep, this is how it is done when you're installing Bilsteins.