Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni STRs & stock springs, Really?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni STRs & stock springs, Really?

Koni's coming to replace DeCarbons. Don't want to lower the car too much, but drop the rear more than the front. Was going to use the stock front springs
with SLP Level 2 springs and heater hose. As I like to Autocross now and then, got to thinking about the high rebound on the Koni's combined with the softer front
springs. Seems to me the car will get ugly thru a slalom due to the Koni not letting the spring recover fast enough! Maybe a Spl Level 2 spring up front?
Seems that would help in the Slalom but be a problem in a regular turn due to the progressive spring taking a set. Tough decision. Amy thoughts?
Old 06-01-2018, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Id try the stock springs with the hose mod for the rear and see how you like it. It may be just fine for what you're wanting
Old 06-02-2018, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckclanton
Koni's coming to replace DeCarbons. Don't want to lower the car too much, but drop the rear more than the front. Was going to use the stock front springs
with SLP Level 2 springs and heater hose. As I like to Autocross now and then, got to thinking about the high rebound on the Koni's combined with the softer front
springs. Seems to me the car will get ugly thru a slalom due to the Koni not letting the spring recover fast enough! Maybe a Spl Level 2 spring up front?
Seems that would help in the Slalom but be a problem in a regular turn due to the progressive spring taking a set. Tough decision. Amy thoughts?
You are very much overthinking it. The Koni STRs were designed around the stock springs and will not give any issues with them being overly damped. The stock DeCarbons just dont have nearly enough rebound control, so when you see aftermarket shocks with higher rebound control that is where its actually supposed to be at.

I had my Koni sports on my stock springs and cranked up the rebound 2 sweeps away from full stiff(which is way more than what the STR's offer) and the car handled/felt amazing compared to stock and certainly didn't cause any issues with slaloming.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You are very much overthinking it. The Koni STRs were designed around the stock springs and will not give any issues with them being overly damped. The stock DeCarbons just dont have nearly enough rebound control, so when you see aftermarket shocks with higher rebound control that is where its actually supposed to be at.

I had my Koni sports on my stock springs and cranked up the rebound 2 sweeps away from full stiff(which is way more than what the STR's offer) and the car handled/felt amazing compared to stock and certainly didn't cause any issues with slaloming.
Okay, thanks. Stock springs are a go! Was waiting for an actual experience not an opinion.