Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Subframe connectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Subframe connectors

I've been looking all over and can't find an answer to my question which is if I have had my tunnel brace removed due to true duals and then decide to install 3-point/multi point subframes will the lack of the tunnel brace negate the third connecting point. Fyi have umi long torque arm and relocation bracket.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

soo 100+ views and no responses? Guess no one has thought to ask this or no one knows.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I would say yes to answer your question but why is your tunnel brace removed for true duals? I have Kooks duals and use a bmr tunnel brace with a driveshaft loop and it fits fine.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jhshnh
I would say yes to answer your question but why is your tunnel brace removed for true duals? I have Kooks duals and use a bmr tunnel brace with a driveshaft loop and it fits fine.
I had to remove mine with the TSP td's its just a flimsy piece of stamped steel wont hurt anything.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks now I've got an off the wall question. Has anyone tried using the "normal" stlye (umi, bmr) subframes with mwc true subframes? Just wondering if it could be done, and if so would it be a good idea? I did the "normal" style before on my last f-body. I think they were j & something web style ones.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by camarosteve2k
Ok thanks now I've got an off the wall question. Has anyone tried using the "normal" stlye (umi, bmr) subframes with mwc true subframes? Just wondering if it could be done, and if so would it be a good idea? I did the "normal" style before on my last f-body. I think they were j & something web style ones.
Honestly the basic subframe connectors that any of the major vendors sell will be plenty just make sure to get the weld ins.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

What you need to look for is subframe connectors because if they do not go from subframe to subframe they are nothing more than a jacking rail when coming to chassis stiffness. I do understand some do not enjoy hearing this but bolting onto the lower control arm does nothing for chassis stiffness, if it did that is what race cars would be adding over tying subframe to subframe together. We have probably had more of these vehicle cut apart over anyone else and understand the chassis strengths and weaknesses, if it needed something besides subframe to subframe we would offer it.

I hope that gives some help on SFC, as for the brace many have ran with out them because of exhaust configurations. It is not that weak of a location but the brace surely is not hurting itself being there.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

^^^ true. I put on SLP bolt-in subframe connectors back in 2003,they did nothing but give me 'jack stand' points. All the 'creaks and groans still existed. About 10 years ago I installed a Kenny Brown bolt-in 6pt cage and all the creaks and groans were gone.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 242 Posts

MWC True sub frame connectors here and my car is solid AF