Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

thinking about cutting off 1/2 coil on my BMR's

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default thinking about cutting off 1/2 coil on my BMR's

would this be ok to do slowly with a hack saw? just wanna lower the car about a quarter to half inch more. is that alright to do? will it effect anything? these coils are real tight at the bottoms and like 5 of them sit on top of each otehr so i dont see a problem. i also plan to go with bilistein hd instead of the slp's up front. i can get them for about 90 bucks for the both of them. sound good? thanks guys
Old 07-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've cut the springs on my car three times now with no problems. As long as you cut only the free end and don't flame cut, I don't see a problem with it. I like to use a chop saw with fiber cutoff wheel, much less work than a hack saw. Or even a die grinder with the smaller cutoff wheels they sell.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

cut only the free end? i mean i know where to cut but you mean the bottom end right? yeah i know not to flame cut, your the one in my other post that actually made me think to cut them. i like the springs so ill jsut save the money and cut em. what do you think about the bilsteins ? and half a coil is about half an inch right?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By the free end I mean not the one with the tight curl; that would be the top coil on the rear springs, but the bottom coil on the front springs.

Yeah a half coil should be close to a half inch; maybe a little more on the front, but a bit less for a rear spring. You would probably need to remove 5/8 of a coil to drop the rear 1/2 inch, but it depends on the spring so I can't say exactly. Thery're easy enough to remove, so just cut them in stages until you get what you want. Just be sure to take it for a drive or at least bounce that end of the car to get it to settle.

Bilsteins are good shocks, but Koni's are the best. Many people put Koni's on the front and Bilsteins on the back.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

well my cousin works for bilstein so i get them like half off...so thats why i wanna go wtih them lol i just dont know much about the hd's

Quick Reply: thinking about cutting off 1/2 coil on my BMR's