Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

it seems like pressure is building in my brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Default it seems like pressure is building in my brakes

short question if you dont wanna read, how warm/hot should your brake fluid be after mild spirited driving and what would cause it to come out at the cap and soak the reservoir, and also leak where the master bolts to the booster? the fluid was at the max line before driving, and still at the max line after i noticed fluid everywhere.......keep reading if you wish

did new calipers, c5 front conversion with hawk pads 7000 miles ago. all went well. no issues for 7000 miles. recently had a buddy do an abs delete for me and have had issues since. we did the sjm kit with the t fittings, and ran a line lock with a proportioning valve. we finished up the install at night time. brakes felt good......would lock up when i attempted to do so working on dialing in the rears. drove home fine. did a few more little cruises, and after i tried the line lock for the first time is when stuff starts down hill (at leas thats when i noticed the issues).

1) i pop the hood after the line lock burnout and notice im leaking at the master. both lines were loose on the master side....so i tighten them up. i drove it after a bunch of hard stops to check for leaks. i checked again and the lines are still leaking. not enough to drip, but sticking the corner of a paper towel inside where the line goes inside the fitting and it comes out wet. both lines where they meet the master........no other lines are leaking. these lines came preflared bubble style to fit the stock master. i then drive it 300 miles roundtrip because i had perfect brakes, and the leak was so minuscule i knew it would be fine. and i booked cruising ocmd and of course had to go.

2) i return from my trip, disconnect the lines, wipe down the lines and inside the master ports making sure there isn't anything there, and reinstall.......super tight. like literally afraid to go tighter. 2 finger on the wrench tight as hard as i could. i then kept sticking corners of paper towel inside the lines to make sure its all dry. got both sides dry and redrove. did a few hard braking stops, a few medium stops and everything in-between. did about 15 miles. return and pop the hood, and its all wet. (refer to the first paragraph). all was dry besides the slight leak after me 300 mile trip. im stumped. i did nothing different to the brakes after my beach trip. its almost like im building excessive pressure in the lines and its trying to escape. how warm should the fluid be. its maybe about 105-110 degrees. hotter than warm, but not scolding hot. just extra warm. i should mention the heat shield covering the fuel and brake lines near the headers has been removed (long story) and i wrapped it in that heat protector stuff rated at high temps. the closest that bare lines get to the headers is about 5 inches id say. i really dont think thats an issue here considering its been that way for 7000 or more miles, all my issues started after the abs delete
Old 06-16-2018, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

i should add even around the booster hose was a tad wet. could be oil from the pcv but doubt it
Old 06-21-2018, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

any thoughts? i siphoned out some fluid where im now below the max line by about a little less than 1/8". still did it today just much much less. still brakes like a champ
Old 08-20-2018, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Kind of confused what's going on other than the leaks.
Did you fix all the leaks? The full mark is max level on level ground with new brake pads all around. Nothing wrong with running a little under the full mark.
What grade and brand brake fluid are you running and have you completely bled the system? Highly doubt you've pushed it to the point of boiling fresh DOT 3 or 4.
Are the bladder seals under master cylinder cap in good condition? Torn seals will let fluid slosh out.

I've heard of torn master cylinder seal causing fluid to fill and overflow the booster. Never seen it personally but heard about it from co-worker in the shop.

My car has manual master cylinder, no ABS and SJM line lock. Took a while making the lines but locked everything down tight enough nothing leaks. Valvoline DOT 3 & 4 fluid almost exclusively for 20 years.
This stuff...
Old 08-26-2018, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

i went fancy and got the $18 super blue off of amazon.....the bladder seal is not torn, but i did consider replacing....havent had issues in awhile tho....idk

Quick Reply: it seems like pressure is building in my brakes