Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Going back to stock torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Going back to stock torque arm

Right now I’m running a UMI tunnel torque arm with a poly trans mount and solid motor mounts. I got the car with most of the suspension mods on it already aside from the engine mounts.

Tons of noises and clunks with the torque arm and I don’t track the car. I’ve tightened it down multiple times but I guess the heim joints on these torque arms are known for loosening up often. I do mostly street rolls and digs. Car sits on 305/35/18 Toyo r888s. No drag radials. Lowered on Sam Strano springs all around. Moser 12 bolt rear end. Manual trans.

Car puts down about 370 rwhp with a small cam and bolt ons.

I hear about stock TA flexing issues and broken trans. tailshafts.. will this be an issue with my driving style? Will I be ok just swapping it back to a stocker?

thanks in advance.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

You can mount the stock torque arm off the tail shaft.
I pull 1.5x 60's on stock torque arm
Old 07-29-2018, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What's your pinion angle at?
Old 07-29-2018, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

what kinds of ends are your lcas and pub
Old 07-29-2018, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

I forget what the pinion angle is. I used BMRs video to set it a while back. I think -2 but not 100% sure.

Lcas and phb are bmr with poly mounts.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
You can mount the stock torque arm off the tail shaft.
I pull 1.5x 60's on stock torque arm

O wow that’s impressive. Poly bushing or stock?
Old 07-29-2018, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 35thanni

O wow that’s impressive. Poly bushing or stock?
poly.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Either a stock TA with a poly bushing, or full length aftermarket one. Either way a relocation bracket would be a good idea
Old 07-29-2018, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

I am considering an aftermarket piece full length but they all have the same heim joints that loosen up.

I get a TON of interior vibrations on the freeway. I can also hear a slight gear whine sometimes. That being said, I would prefer to not have another tunnel mounted torque arm. I’ve heard the tunnel mount style creates (amplifies) drivetrain noises into the cabin.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

When you say vibrations are you talking an actual shake of some sort of more of a NVH type of thing?
Old 07-29-2018, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

No shake it’s just a consistent vibration. I don’t know what NVH stands for.

How much do used torque arms go for? Maybe I’ll sell mine and make some of my money back.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Right now I’m running a UMI tunnel torque arm with a poly trans mount and solid motor mounts. I got the car with most of the suspension mods on it already aside from the engine mounts.

Tons of noises and clunks with the torque arm and I don’t track the car. I’ve tightened it down multiple times but I guess the heim joints on these torque arms are known for loosening up often. I do mostly street rolls and digs. Car sits on 305/35/18 Toyo r888s. No drag radials. Lowered on Sam Strano springs all around. Moser 12 bolt rear end. Manual trans.

Car puts down about 370 rwhp with a small cam and bolt ons.

I hear about stock TA flexing issues and broken trans. tailshafts.. will this be an issue with my driving style? Will I be ok just swapping it back to a stocker?

thanks in advance.

interesting read because I was suggested a body mount torque arm and am experiencing the exact same issues with rattles and annoying noises. They installed a UMI adjustable when I had my motor work, transmission and LT's. Installed. I've had them readjust it, check my exhaust, lifted the rear slightly with the heater hose mod and still annoying rattles and clunks! My car is also just a street cruiser. My next updates will be stock mount torque arm, subframe connectors and adjustable control arms.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

NVH stands for noise, vibration and harshness. I got my non adjustable UMI arm for $80, but i normally don't see them that cheap. Prices vary depending on adjustable vs non adjustable
Old 07-29-2018, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
NVH stands for noise, vibration and harshness. I got my non adjustable UMI arm for $80, but i normally don't see them that cheap. Prices vary depending on adjustable vs non adjustable
Thats a steal. Full length?
Old 07-29-2018, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by capelajc

interesting read because I was suggested a body mount torque arm and am experiencing the exact same issues with rattles and annoying noises. They installed a UMI adjustable when I had my motor work, transmission and LT's. Installed. I've had them readjust it, check my exhaust, lifted the rear slightly with the heater hose mod and still annoying rattles and clunks! My car is also just a street cruiser. My next updates will be stock mount torque arm, subframe connectors and adjustable control arms.
Yea it took me a long time to find out what it was. Had a shop look at it too. I ended up recording the drivetrain while the car was on jack stands with the diff jacked up. Popped the clutch and noticed the TA was jerking in a up/down motion because the joints were loose.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats a steal. Full length?
Yes sir. That's why I bought it lol. Got a BMR relocation crossmember for $130 a few weeks later as well. To be honest though I think I'm gonna get an adjustable torque arm though, as I'm having vibrations due to not being able to fine tune the pinion angle. Founders sells a good adjustable one for around $230. So I'll probably do that, then sell my other one. Probably can get a bit more than $80 for it too lol
Old 07-30-2018, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Yes sir. That's why I bought it lol. Got a BMR relocation crossmember for $130 a few weeks later as well. To be honest though I think I'm gonna get an adjustable torque arm though, as I'm having vibrations due to not being able to fine tune the pinion angle. Founders sells a good adjustable one for around $230. So I'll probably do that, then sell my other one. Probably can get a bit more than $80 for it too lol
Kinda blows because I let go of the clutch extra slow between shifts to avoid the clunk and I feel like I’m destroying my clutch.

From what I’ve read stockers flex and crack and aftermarket full lengths break tail shafts. Tunnel mounts vibrate pretty bad but I’m sure the solid mounts and cam add to the vibrations too.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Kinda blows because I let go of the clutch extra slow between shifts to avoid the clunk and I feel like I’m destroying my clutch.

From what I’ve read stockers flex and crack and aftermarket full lengths break tail shafts. Tunnel mounts vibrate pretty bad but I’m sure the solid mounts and cam add to the vibrations too.
Yep I know what you mean with the clutch thing lol. Like I mentioned above a relocation crossmember is always a good idea with either the stock arm or an aftermarket one. If you are lowered at all, or have a aftermarket rear end, I'd highly recommend an adjustable one
Old 07-30-2018, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Yep I know what you mean with the clutch thing lol. Like I mentioned above a relocation crossmember is always a good idea with either the stock arm or an aftermarket one. If you are lowered at all, or have a aftermarket rear end, I'd highly recommend an adjustable one
Well that’s the issue. I am lowered and I have a moser 12 bolt so I have to use an adjustable arm which is where my clunking issues lies. The bolts that go through the joints on the side of the arm will not stay tight.

Move actually found quite a few threads of people talking about going back to stock after installing a tunnel mount.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

not all heim joints are created equal......i know some have inner liners made out of different materials to help extend the life of the joint.......i have a full length MWC arm, helms on all ends, mounted off the trans and hardly ever hear any noise from that......its goona be a little costly but u could try to call mwc and order a few of their heim joints to replace yours and see if that helps, since u already have the long arm

Quick Reply: Going back to stock torque arm