Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunk on acelleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clunk on acelleration

Something is making a clunk in the rear when I accelerate at medium throttle. Much worse at hard to WOT. No clunk at all if I drive normally, like if it were a commuter car....kind of feathering the gas though.

Also, sometimes when it rains hard and I come to a stop at a light, sometimes there's a HUGE vibration + humming, like something's about to explode. Taking it off of drive (automatic) and putting into neutral, stops this noise. And then it comes back on when put into Drive, but goes away when the car is moving. This only happens once in a while when it rains.

If t's something with the suspension, then how worried should I be? Should I get it looked at immediately or do I have some time to keep driving to work, etc. until I get the time?

I don't feel anything worse or even different with the handling. It's about the same. No clunking when making sharp turns at a sporty speed neither. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is the car bone stock or have any suspension or drivetrain mods?

Almost sounds like a drivetrain issue, maybe transmission related.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Is the car bone stock or have any suspension or drivetrain mods?

Almost sounds like a drivetrain issue, maybe transmission related.
Yes, bone stock. Crap, you think it may be the A4? There's no problem the A4 shifting or anything. I do have HP Tuners and followed a settings on their forums to tighten up the shifts a little. Noticeable, quicker shifts. It's been set like this for over 8 years at least w/o any problems.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Bird
Yes, bone stock. Crap, you think it may be the A4? There's no problem the A4 shifting or anything. I do have HP Tuners and followed a settings on their forums to tighten up the shifts a little. Noticeable, quicker shifts. It's been set like this for over 8 years at least w/o any problems.
Start with the easy stuff and check the trans mount and see if you can see the motor mounts and make sure they are not all cracked and dry rotted. Probably should just go ahead and replace the trans mount (with a stock one) if its the original as far as you know, its cheap and certainly wouldn't hurt.
While you are under there take a look around at everything and see if anything is lose, like the torque arm bolts, LCA bolts, exhaust clamps/bolts and make sure nothing is cracked or anything.

If all that passes your inspection you may want to take a look at the diff and axles and see if something is off there.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Start with the easy stuff and check the trans mount and see if you can see the motor mounts and make sure they are not all cracked and dry rotted. Probably should just go ahead and replace the trans mount (with a stock one) if its the original as far as you know, its cheap and certainly wouldn't hurt.
While you are under there take a look around at everything and see if anything is lose, like the torque arm bolts, LCA bolts, exhaust clamps/bolts and make sure nothing is cracked or anything.

If all that passes your inspection you may want to take a look at the diff and axles and see if something is off there.
Agree on the trans mount.....
Old 10-16-2018, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Thanks very much, I will check this. How bad is it to keep driving with a broken transmission mount for a while?
Old 10-17-2018, 12:03 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Blownbayou
Agree on the trans mount.....
x2

Not good to drive much with it corked. Fortunately its a 20 min fix, three bolts. I'd suggest poly for durability but you might get a bit more nvh ( noise vibration harshness ) so if that concerns you there are rubber upgraded ones that have metal hooks in them to keep things lined up when it breaks.