Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Power steering pump makes noise ONLY when moved to full-stop? help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump makes noise ONLY when moved to full-stop? help!

Hey guys,

I really need help on this one. My power steering pump is making a whine noise when moved only to full stop.

I also hear a wooshing sound when moving the wheel full stop left right with the engine off.

I did a full flush and bleed according to these instructions: http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#psflush and the wooshing sound when engine off seems to have gone away, but i still have the loud whine when turned full stop with the engine on.

Theres a video with audio available here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9VRrJi7WgxqmmNar6

Could really use any help on this one! I really cant afford to replace the entire PS pump right now...
Old 11-20-2018, 10:23 PM
Teching In

is it possible that this is normal and I just never listened for it before? I never really had my ear listening with the hood open while someone turned the wheel full-stop?
Old 11-20-2018, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the video shows lots of bubbles in the reservoir....did you bleed after the flush ? use synthetic fluid ? ( highly recommended !!!! ) could not tell if you have the factory PS cooler.....if so get rid of it ! the best way to bleed is to raise the front end so the wheels are in the air and turn lock to lock till all the bubbles are gone......the wheels at lock make the pump put out a lot of pressure that the wheels dont need.....hence ( i think ) the pump whine

if the pump whine is at lock is more than normal i would be worried...but during normal driving if it is not more than normal noisy....dont worry
Old 11-20-2018, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

When you turn full lock left or right you basically dead head the pump and the pressure will rise, So to keep that pressure from doing damage there is a relief valve/ bypass valve. That noise you hear is the relief valve/ bypass valve opening.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Thank You both very much! I had a feeling this was normal.

I did fully flush and bleed the system just for good measure.