Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

aftermarket k frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Default aftermarket k frame

is it worth getting one if im kinda on a budget for my build and have no plans for a turbo? my concerns are tubulars are weaker in the event of an accident, and id prefer not to shell out 500 for a used one. but my current one is ugly and rusty and i may have found a local one that is clean
Old 12-10-2018, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're on a budget, no, probably not.

The biggest thing the K member will give you is a little bit of weight savings, I think somewhere in the 20-30lb range depending on manufacturer, and secondarily, I've found working on things down there is a little bit easier with the big, bulky stocker out of the way.

And I, personally would not be concerned about the strength of the aftermarket k members as long as you stick with MWC, UMI, BMR, Spohn, etc... But not everyone shares that opinion.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

It is one of the last things that I have replaced. I have the UMI road race version and it is pretty substantial. It doesn't have slots for LCA adjustment, rather plates with off center holes so the LCA can't slip. It also has revised roll center. There is more room and looks prettier.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
If you're on a budget, no, probably not.

The biggest thing the K member will give you is a little bit of weight savings, I think somewhere in the 20-30lb range depending on manufacturer, and secondarily, I've found working on things down there is a little bit easier with the big, bulky stocker out of the way.

And I, personally would not be concerned about the strength of the aftermarket k members as long as you stick with MWC, UMI, BMR, Spohn, etc... But not everyone shares that opinion.
yea thats what i figured.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

For me, the best reason to do it is room to work. I sometimes think back on trying to work on that motor with the stock K, and I cannot imagine how I used to maneuver.