Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake squealing issue NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Brake squealing issue NEED HELP

Okay. So when I brake and get under 10mph there is a slight squeal/squeak from the passenger rear tire area. This has been for 2 yrs. I had all of the rotors and pads replaced along with the rear axles as part of yearly maintenance that I do on the car and ASSumed it would go away. It did not. I immediately drove back around the block to my shop and he lubed the emergency brake piece that is shaped like a horseshoe in 3 diff spots and it went away.....for a month. Ffwd to today. Shocks struts and other yearly updates and I said replace the horseshoe part as it was old anyway and it ended up being elongated. Brand new part and lube.....and the squeak is still there. C'mon. He's going to look again next weekend he wants to check the rotor to see if it is warped but this sound was there before and after a rotor swap. He also wants to check....the backing plates? He said they might be rubbing? One constant is that it squeaks quickly under 10 mph and then slows as I get closer to a complete stop so I'm hoping that means it's 1 direct spot that is causing the issue since it's getting hit faster and higher speed and slows as the car gets slower. By that I mean under 5 mph it isn't a constant squeak it only happens every half a second or so as it seems when the tire rotates and hits wherever the issue is it squeaks. Can anybody help or make suggestions? Thx
Old 12-14-2018, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Morning bump
Old 12-14-2018, 11:25 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It's not the parking brake. If the parking brake was rubbing, it would eventually burn down and the rub would stop.

If it's not a problem with your disk brake, then it could be a wheel/axle bearing. I've had this issue with my front bearings. Unfortunately, the rears are more involved to swap.

How many miles do you have on your rear end?
Old 12-14-2018, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
It's not the parking brake. If the parking brake was rubbing, it would eventually burn down and the rub would stop.

If it's not a problem with your disk brake, then it could be a wheel/axle bearing. I've had this issue with my front bearings. Unfortunately, the rears are more involved to swap.

How many miles do you have on your rear end?
97,000! Thx for the reply. Isn't it odd that after lubing the e brake horseshoe piece that the sound went away for a month or so or is that just coincidence? Also the car just had new rear axles bearings and seals put on 2 yrs ago barely 1000 miles on them

Last edited by hurley711; 12-14-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

It is pretty difficult to diagnose a problem like this online. I don't know how loud the noise is. Some squeal can happen normally and can be eliminated with grease between the pad and the caliper. If you are paying someone to fix it, I would suggest they figure it out.

If it was my car I would try to isolate the noise. Is it only under braking? Does it make noise at low speed without braking? Does it make noise if you stop the car with the parking brake? If no luck I would put the car on jacks and have someone run it, maybe with the tire off (nuts holding the rotor on). Backing plate dragging will make noise, but not likely during braking, you would hear it cornering because the axle does move side-side a bit.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I use a "anti squeal " spray that is applied to the back side of the brake pads, keeps the brakes nice and quiet.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05017-Disc-Brake-Quiet/dp/B000M8NWGE/ref=asc_df_B000M8NWGE/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adpositio n}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocph y=&hvtargid=pla-4584070138211287&psc=1
Old 12-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by hurley711
Also the car just had new rear axles bearings and seals put on 2 yrs ago barely 1000 miles on them
Ahhh. Are you sure it was quality? Where did the axle come from? Are you sure it was "new?" Is it a stock axle or aftermarket?

Old 04-19-2019, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
Ahhh. Are you sure it was quality? Where did the axle come from? Are you sure it was "new?" Is it a stock axle or aftermarket?
He used OEM parts! Squeal is getting worse and worse! Now it's present while driving without braking and of course as soon as I hit the brakes it's gets way louder. It's downright embarrassing.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going mad over here. Before the noise was while braking only. Now it's present while driving and when I hit the brakes it squeals higher and then stays while driving. As I slow down...the noise slows. As I speed up...the noise speeds up.

As far as parts go this noise was present before and after replacing the rear axles, rear rotors, rear pads & emergency brake part that was shaped like a Horseshoe.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Heading to the shop now. Going crazy. After 2-3 mins of driving the squeal starts when I first got the brakes. Then it stays sometimes while I'm driving squealing away which is loud obnoxious and embarrassing. As I'm braking the squeal decreases as my speed decreases as if it's being caused by a certain spot. Any guesses?
Old 04-24-2019, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

are the backing plates bent or slightly deformed enough that its rubbing on the rotor or anything?
Old 05-03-2019, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
are the backing plates bent or slightly deformed enough that its rubbing on the rotor or anything?
QUOTE=Majestic9C1;20085716]are the backing plates bent or slightly deformed enough that its rubbing on the rotor or anything?[/QUOTE]

So I took it to a very reputable shop in the area to get a 2nd opinion and from driving it he rules out the backing plate. Now it gets weirder. I've had no noise for the past 3 days. Only thing different is I have the car a good scrubbing including spraying out the wheels and tires really well hoping maybe something was stuck in there. Other noticeable change is temperature. So the issue wasn't really an issue through the winter when it was cold until the car really warmed up. Now as it got warmer it happened almost immediately. Well this week has dropped back into the high 40s here at night when I go to work and ....quiet again.

So now I'm wondering if there's a connection to heat/temperature.