Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear STR.T Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear STR.T Issue?

New Koni Str.t Shocks.Strano Springs, Bump Stops, and Adj Panhard Bar, And Still Feels Like I The Rear End Has Broke Off The Car When I Go Over Bumps Or R.R.Tracks.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would guess that Sam Strano may see this and respond. He would know the answer here. I have Koni STR.T and stock springs (i.e. ~35,000 miles on them), and every couple of months my car seems to do what your car is doing. I take the rear shocks off of the car, and while keeping them vertical in the same position as they are when on the car, I cycle them from fully extended to fully compressed (i.e. do it by hand) for 5-6 times. You will feel the shock get smooth and consistent. Why this needs to be done, I am not 100% sure. If you think about how a shock works when installed, it dampens/controls the movement of the spring and under normal driving the shock only travels a small portion of it's full extension. Koni STR.T are only low pressure gas shocks. Maybe air pockets form in the fluid in the shock??? Maybe it lubricates the internal parts and passages in the shock??? After doing this the ride is normal and the shocks feel "new" again.

if it's not related to the rear shocks, I would check out the lower control arm bushings.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gold98
New Koni Str.t Shocks.Strano Springs, Bump Stops, and Adj Panhard Bar, And Still Feels Like I The Rear End Has Broke Off The Car When I Go Over Bumps Or R.R.Tracks.
explain in detail what you are hearing and feeling. Do you have stock control arms and sway bar?
Old 12-28-2018, 01:39 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by OwieVT
I would guess that Sam Strano may see this and respond. He would know the answer here. I have Koni STR.T and stock springs (i.e. ~35,000 miles on them), and every couple of months my car seems to do what your car is doing. I take the rear shocks off of the car, and while keeping them vertical in the same position as they are when on the car, I cycle them from fully extended to fully compressed (i.e. do it by hand) for 5-6 times. You will feel the shock get smooth and consistent. Why this needs to be done, I am not 100% sure. If you think about how a shock works when installed, it dampens/controls the movement of the spring and under normal driving the shock only travels a small portion of it's full extension. Koni STR.T are only low pressure gas shocks. Maybe air pockets form in the fluid in the shock??? Maybe it lubricates the internal parts and passages in the shock??? After doing this the ride is normal and the shocks feel "new" again.

if it's not related to the rear shocks, I would check out the lower control arm bushings.
I would hardly consider doing this to be a normal maintenance procedure. I've changed the title of the thread to attract more interest - and perhaps answers.