Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

poly engine mounts, are they all the same?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 07:43 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know... It's all subjective I guess. I ran Spohn solid motor mounts (pedestal and motor mount in one) along with a Prothane trans mount and didn't really notice anything bad at all.

The trans mount to stay away from is the Energy Suspension. The Prothane is great. I don't understand the aversion to it some seem to have.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I tried two poly tranny mounts when the car was just a few years old, and they both gave me horrible vibration. I know one of them was ES, I don't recall if I tried a Prothane, or even if they were released at that time.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:05 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I tried two poly tranny mounts when the car was just a few years old, and they both gave me horrible vibration. I know one of them was ES, I don't recall if I tried a Prothane, or even if they were released at that time.
Yeah that's the problem with the ES version... That metal plate they use. Some cars are just different than others too. YMMV
Old 03-23-2019, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

i was under the impression it also had to do with flex, like no matter what you do you need a softer mount on the trans than the engine, solid mounts on engine you can run poly trans. but no poly on all 3, poly on engine you need rubber on the trans. from what i saw if the entire thing is too solid, the weak point is the bellhousing area and it can crack......basically imagine holding a sheet of plywood with one person on each end, it bends in the middle from the weight, but instead of bending, thats where the flexing now happens cause there is no supports there.

having the softer mount out back will now flex a little relieving the bell housing of the stress
Old 03-24-2019, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I used Prothane engine mounts and Spohn pedestals.. took about half a day to do the job and this is with my AC compressor already removed

its much easier if you take out the pedestals along with the mounts as a unit rather than trying to leave the pedestals in..

edit: I have poly mounts on all 3 locations and the vibration and NVH is not much greater than before... I've also had no ill effects since I swapped them over to Poly 2 years ago