Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ball joint not seated all the way? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joint not seated all the way? (Pics)

Hey guys,

Just wondering how far in the balljoints really need to be. I’m using Moog Problem Solvers, and it’s really close, but I can’t seem to budge it past this point. I snapped a few pics, and I think you can tell that it's almost flush with the ring of the control arm, even though some of the splines of the balljoint are still visible. I was hoping someone could tell me if it’s close enough or if I need to try and press on it some more.

The control arm is off the car upside down with the balljoint stud pointing towards the ground. Pics are taken through one of the holes in the lower control arm.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 218 Likes on 178 Posts

what did you use to press it in ?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:17 PM
Teching In

I used one of those c clamp balljoint presses that I rented from AutoZone
Old 01-24-2019, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

You using an impact or doing it by hand somehow? Really should be all the way flush. Set the press back up, get it good and tight then smack the **** out "bolt end" of the press with a hammer. Lots of times that will be be enough to straighten them out and go in the rest of the way.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:12 AM
Teching In

No, I don’t have an impact. I was just using a breaker bar by hand. I tried getting it tight and smacking it with a hammer; I probably need to use a heavier hammer but I was afraid of damaging the ball joint or the A-arm. I think I’m gonna have to give in and take it to a shop with a hydraulic press.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by brettcameron
No, I don’t have an impact. I was just using a breaker bar by hand. I tried getting it tight and smacking it with a hammer; I probably need to use a heavier hammer but I was afraid of damaging the ball joint or the A-arm. I think I’m gonna have to give in and take it to a shop with a hydraulic press.
Shouldn't need a hydraulic press. I do ball joints all the time with just the giant c clamp/press at work. If you have the adapters set right pressing on the outer ring of the ball joint housing you shouldn't have any issues with damage.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Yeah I’m using Moog ball joints which apparently are oversized and a real pain according to a lot of threads on this site. I’m pretty sure I’m using the press correctly. I really made sure to take my time when I set up all the adapters. I just can’t move it past where it is and I’m tired of trying so I’m just gonna let someone else try.