Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Any lowering springs for 02 ss convertible besides my bmr?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 11:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Ok, so I get busy since I don't have minions and that keeps me away from time to time. Lets go over a few details that may or may not matter.

Starting with "convertible" springs. I don't know anyone who makes a specific spring dedicated to a Convertible. If they did it would be a small market to be sure, and frankly not all that wise a move in a business sense as there is no suspension differences with the cars and the weight the convert has on the back isn't a lot more than a Coupe, let alone one that's got other stuff there, like a battery relocation, or a big sub setup, etc.

If you are concerned about the height, we have spacers that can raise the rear by about 1/2", if you want to do that. Or of course you have options that give height adjustment with various coil-overs. OR you can for about $100 run a supplemental airbag setup to get a little more spring rate that way.

Measuring heights ground to fender. Not all tires are the same height, that messed wtih the measurement. Even if you are on the same tires, what most folks have no idea about is that negative camber lowers the car. I.E. the same car with 0 camber will sit higher than the same car with -1.5 degrees.

Variance. There is a reason I don't quote an exact height, or even an approximate one for my springs. There is no way I can guarantee it, and there are so many photos of cars on my springs, I think it's best folks look at the results over a lot of cars. I can't know what springs your car had stock (and there were a LOT of them). I don't know if they sagged, or broke, or were cut. Sometimes folks have other springs than stock and don't know it. As the cars get older, this happens more and more. Then there is the game of other parts installed. Take weight off the nose, it'll sit higher. Add it to the back, lower. Combo of both, guess what? you get both higher in front, lower in the back.

The springs are all wound off the same coils of wire, one after another when we make them, some 150 sets at a time and follow the same processes all they way through as Hyperco's racing springs, until we coat them white instead of blue. Yes, some cars sit at different heights, but that is much more due to other things than my springs (maybe not so much with other springs). A car using old upper mounts will sit lower than a car with new mounts because the rubber in the new ones isn't beaten down. If you have a sway bar that is sticky and bound up that can hold the car up. There are lots of reasons, but then the most basic. Not all cars are the same and the build tolerances on these isn't exactly super tight. Sometimes you get one that a STB doesn't fit on. I had one guy (ONE) put on a MC brace and it was INCHES from his Master Cylinder. I suspect that car was hit prior, because I havne't seen another have that issue.

But back to the original statement. Converts aren't really that different, at all.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-13-2019, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 862 Likes on 658 Posts

"You" can always try slipping some heater hose over the top and/or bottom coil in the rear for a bit more height.

I wouldn't go any lower than Strano on a car with headers.