Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strange alignment issue (crooked steering wheel)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Strange alignment issue (crooked steering wheel)

So I get new tires for the Formula (bfg comp-2 summer 245/50-ZR16), and a few suspension bushings replaced....and an alignment.

Since the alignment, I've noticed my steering wheel being a little off to the right when going straight. Car doesn't pull but when going straight and I let go of the wheel, it was a little to the right.

I have since taken it back 8 times to the original alignment place (actually was the dealer) till I finally showed them how I want the wheel to end up when going straight. They fixed it, car drives straight, wheel is straight but I now noticed a lighter steering feel for some reason (unless that's because I have brand new tires that have to break in).

I never got an updated print-out sheet, but the last one showed left caster 5.2, right caster 4.6. Left and right camber .5. Total toe -.04.

Since I didn't get a new sheet after the last alignment I decide to go to another shop and they actually checked my alignment for free. Camber figures show the same, but with the wheel straight the left toe is -.07 and the right toe is .11 (total toe .04). I forgot what the steer ahead was but I think it was either -11 or 11.

I was afraid to let them change anything fearing that the steering wheel would end up being crooked again. they said something about one of the tires would wear faster than the other because one of them is steering the car to compensate for some kind of pull (I thought caster is responsible for that).

Wondering if the rear is out of alignment from the bushing replacement (if it's live axle, that shouldn't be an issue, right)?

But anyway, should I be concerned with the individual toe numbers or is the total toe the important one? I have a feeling it was adjusted this way so the wheel is straight when going straight, and they didn't want me to see the latest sheet showing everything off. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2019, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

They can align the car with the wheel in any position you want, They make right and left toe adjustments with that in mind. Total toe is the number you will be concerned with.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That light steering feel is probably your tires rolling straight and dragging across the ground. I normally give alittle neg camber for better road feel and this seems to make steering a lot smoother at highway speeds
Old 05-17-2019, 05:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
They can align the car with the wheel in any position you want, They make right and left toe adjustments with that in mind. Total toe is the number you will be concerned with.
Good to know. I'm starting to think the new tires are messing with my steering response while still brand new (my old tires were hard as a rock and the steering was quick and positive, but the new tires have much more grip when accelerating but for now steering feels a bit softer/lighter).

So basically as long as the total toe is within spec (in my case 0.04) and my wheel is straight when going straight and there is no pull, I should be good? Steering effort is the same left and right.