Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

anyone have issues with NICOPP flaring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default anyone have issues with NICOPP flaring?

First time using it, I keep hearing it's supposed to be easier but it's just not working for me. I have a Tool Guy Republic flare tool (the Eastwood "pro" brake line tool is this same tool rebranded). I can do steel double flares and DIN flares all day and they come out flawless.

3/16ths NICOPP comes out great. 1/4 inch, not so much. DIN flares come out lopsided and double flares end up having a kink in it about half way down the flare all the way around as if the material is too soft and begins to buckle where it shouldn't. .

I've tried EVERYTHING from manipulating how much pressure I use on the handle or how quickly/slowly I work the handle to chamfering the edges to lubing the very end of the tubing but the line still kinks up on the double flares and comes out lopsided on the DIN flares. Sick a piece of steel tube in right after and it's perfect.

Only thing I can think of is I got a bad roll of NICOPP. Looking at the end, it doesn't look perfectly round. It almost looks like a pentagon ever so slightly if you stare at the right angle and when I run my de-burring tool along the inside circumference, I can feel it get hung up at points as if it's hitting flat spots.

I should have a new roll coming Sunday, but I really want to finish these lines this weekend so if the new roll doesn't fix the issue, do you guys have any ideas? Anyone have this issue ? I've only ever heard good things about NICOPP. It was certainly easier to bend up. In fact, it bends allmost a little too easy to the point where it's very easy to lose the bends you made when snaking it back into tight spaces and it has me worried about the coiled up sections I bent up for under the master. I feel like if I ever accidentally dropped something on them it would crush them all out shape...but I think that's me just being paranoid LOL

Last edited by kris396ss; 05-25-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

I've used 3/16 ni cop for years and never had issues with it. Have not had the opportunity to flair 1/4" though so I'm not help there. Did the new roll help out any?
Old 05-28-2019, 10:58 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

No issues with 1/4" NICOPP, but I used the mastercool flaring tool set which is pretty good at such things.