Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear spring isolators...anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear spring isolators...anyone?

So instead of the heater hose mod which works great and is cheap...
Can anyone tell me of a spring coil isolator for the top that would work on the fbody?

I mean something not as thick as the OEM isolator I dont have any to compare.

I am replacing my rear springs with jsut some 96 V6 springs I got a set in good condition, cleaned them and painted them up. Was about to do the heater hose mod but rather just use an isolator. Orlieys has several different sizes I dont have the car with me to measure the springs to see what isolator will work.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

99-04 Mustang Cobra prothane isolators
P/n 6-1709
Old 09-02-2019, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kcutty85
99-04 Mustang Cobra prothane isolators
P/n 6-1709
So these will go on the TOP instead of heater hose correct? I dont think I have anything at all on the bottom.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ssdungeon
So these will go on the TOP instead of heater hose correct? I dont think I have anything at all on the bottom.
yes they replace your factory ones and drop your car about 1/2 an inch...im currently running them with my stock springs
Old 09-18-2019, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
yes they replace your factory ones and drop your car about 1/2 an inch...im currently running them with my stock springs
Is the rest of your suspension stock? I have a completely stock 2002 35th Anniversary Z28. We've owned since new and currently has 155K miles. Have located/ordered all parts to completely overhaul struts, shocks, springs etc … except for the upper rear isolators. I don't mind dropping a half-inch if it'll work, but there was a mention about pinion angle in another thread. Seems like the person had other mods tho? Blows my mind that no one makes a suitable equivalent to this part anymore?!?!
Old 09-19-2019, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasander77
Is the rest of your suspension stock? I have a completely stock 2002 35th Anniversary Z28. We've owned since new and currently has 155K miles. Have located/ordered all parts to completely overhaul struts, shocks, springs etc … except for the upper rear isolators. I don't mind dropping a half-inch if it'll work, but there was a mention about pinion angle in another thread. Seems like the person had other mods tho? Blows my mind that no one makes a suitable equivalent to this part anymore?!?!
Hey. Nothing is stock on that car.
I would rather buy a new set myself. I'm getting the car 4 corner weighed balanced and the suspension tuned next month. Also these v6 springs installed with those isolators
Old 09-19-2019, 08:35 AM
Teching In

I would rather buy a new set myself. I'm getting the car 4 corner weighed balanced and the suspension tuned next month. Also these v6 springs installed with those isolators
The previous post mentioned using with stock springs. Not entirely sure if he's referring to the red ones you posted or the Cobra part number mentioned later. Will the Cobra isolator mentioned above work on stock suspension w/o adversely affecting other components?

Last edited by jasander77; 09-19-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Decided to take a chance on some isolators made by Eaton. They manufacture an aftermarket isolator comparable to OEM height. Sounds like basic design is similar to these, but they have no images online. $20 for the pair + shipping.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jasander77
I have koni shocks but im running stock springs, I'm not fully sure what answers your looking for but I can tell you from personal experience the prothane cobra isolators work just like the stock ones but since they are slightly shorter they lower the car a little. The pinion angle subject you are referring to is the pinion angle that can be adjusted with an aftermarket adjustable torque arm. I am personally running a stock torque arm still and haven't had any issues.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:36 PM
Teching In

I have koni shocks but im running stock springs, I'm not fully sure what answers your looking for but I can tell you from personal experience the prothane cobra isolators work just like the stock ones but since they are slightly shorter they lower the car a little. The pinion angle subject you are referring to is the pinion angle that can be adjusted with an aftermarket adjustable torque arm. I am personally running a stock torque arm still and haven't had any issues.
Thanks for the reply. You answered my question. I was just tired of searching for a part that's no longer made and this was the only place I had found any info on a potential substitute in use. The ones by Eaton sound promising. There's not much info or even an image on their site, but when I called the rep said they are not cupped like the originals, but are designed specifically for our cars at OEM height.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:25 PM
Teching In

I'm not fully sure what answers your looking for but I can tell you from personal experience the prothane cobra isolators work just like the stock ones but since they are slightly shorter they lower the car a little.
Back to asking questions. The part Eaton sent me is the lower isolator … but I need the upper … so back to the drawing board. The Prothane part is mentioned above as being used on the top of springs. However, the description on Amazon reads "lower." Can you please confirm p/n 6-1709 is large enough to be used on the top of spring? The product dimensions read 6x6x4 … so I'm assuming "lower" only applies to the cobra springs since my new springs are 5.5" in diameter at the top?

Last edited by jasander77; 09-23-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

the last pic is to show how much it lowered it
Old 09-24-2019, 12:01 PM
Teching In

the last pic is to show how much it lowered it
That certainly answers my questions once and for all. Thank you for your help!
Old 09-24-2019, 02:13 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Good stuff! Learned sumn today thanks
Old 09-25-2019, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered them just haven't installed them. I'm taking the car to get all 4 corners weighed and the angles set up in 2 weeks.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So just double checking.
This is alternate to heater hose mod for rear springs only if one is on stock springs?
Old 10-05-2019, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
So just double checking.
This is alternate to heater hose mod for rear springs only if one is on stock springs?
It is likely the best option for any kind of spring. Heater hose is not going to be durable and will be an ongoing maintenance issue … not to mention much harder to install than just dropping one of these on top.
The following users liked this post:
bad_408_vert (10-14-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

They fit just like the oem ones , I dont remember the exact drop ..maybe 1/2 inch

Old 10-05-2019, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Corner balancing the car involves raising and lowering each corner to transfer weight. How do you plan to raise and lower the rear corners without coilovers? Do you have an adjustable lower spring perch? Or will you be adding more parts to allow this ability? Are you going to use coilovers in the front also?

Quick Reply: Rear spring isolators...anyone?