Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni Vs Bilstein Shocks & Struts. Have things Changed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni Vs Bilstein Shocks & Struts. Have things Changed?

First post here, so forgive me if this is a dead horse topic but all my searching on the forums is showing stuff from over 10 years ago...

I recently bought a 2000 Trans Am convertible with 74,000 miles. Noticed the ride was kinda rough so i took it in and they said i need new shocks & struts.

Been trying to decide what to replace them with, and all of the old threads said "if you can afford Koni's, get them. if you're on a budget, get bilsteins"

BUT all of my searching is showing that the Koni SRT.T are cheaper than the Bilstein's (specifically looking on ws6store.com)

Is it because they're the SRT.T and not the "yellow" Koni Sport?
Old 11-27-2019, 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Bianchi
First post here, so forgive me if this is a dead horse topic but all my searching on the forums is showing stuff from over 10 years ago...

I recently bought a 2000 Trans Am convertible with 74,000 miles. Noticed the ride was kinda rough so i took it in and they said i need new shocks & struts.

Been trying to decide what to replace them with, and all of the old threads said "if you can afford Koni's, get them. if you're on a budget, get bilsteins"

BUT all of my searching is showing that the Koni SRT.T are cheaper than the Bilstein's (specifically looking on ws6store.com)

Is it because they're the SRT.T and not the "yellow" Koni Sport?
yes...the koni strt's are non adjustable and were created as a decent budget shock. From what i hear they are comparable to the bilsteins
Old 11-27-2019, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

If you're just looking for a decent ride and handling street car the koni strt are very good. I've had them for about two years and very happy with them. I would be surprised if the bilstiens outperformed them.

If you're racing or auto crossing you might want to pony up for the high end koni adjustable.

By the way the front shocks are not struts. I'd be careful with a shop that describes them as struts.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

In my experience, Bilsteins tend to ride a little cushier than Koni's. I've never had the STR.T's but have heard that they also are harsher than the Bilsteins. Whether that would be worth an extra $150 to you is up to you. Both are a quality product, though I've found Bilsteins to be exceptionally well-made and amazingly durable.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the koni STR on my bolt on SS.
Absolutely love them over the parts store ones.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say I'm super happy with my Koni's DA's. The things are pretty firm for road use and seem to feel as if they ride low in the stroke. Being a motorcycle guy, I may be expecting different results for the product. Given we're a Penske dealer for Moto shocks and manufacture our own Cartridges for Motorcycle forks, I'm tempted to put Peske 8760's on with the coiler conversion and sell the Koni's. I can't stand the high speed compression traits on the Koni's.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I had Bilsteins and bmr lowering springs on my Camaro. Was a pretty stiff ride.
when I got my TA I went with the koni strt with bmr lowering springs. Ride is alot better. Not nearly as stiff and the price is really good. If you are doing it yourself, definitely get new top shock mounts. The original ones rust to the rod on the shock and are almost impossible to remove if rusted on.

Quick Reply: Koni Vs Bilstein Shocks & Struts. Have things Changed?