Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2002 WS6 Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2019 | 04:19 PM

Default 2002 WS6 Shocks

What are your thoughts regarding whether or not the shocks need to be replaced on my 2002 WS6 with 108k miles. The shop says they aren't really that bad. Would like to know your thoughts. Not sure what they aught to be like when they are good. The car is a daily driver. Tire wear is fine. Just trying to figure out if shocks on the front and rear is worth doing. Will probably do the rear myself and will have to hire out the fronts.

Thanks for your help

Old 11-29-2019 | 06:42 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

If the shop says they really aren't bad and you're satisfied with the way they ride, no sense to replace them. If you want to improve handling performance, then you're asking a different question.
Old 11-29-2019 | 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

The original shocks were never great. At 100k I think a quality stock replacement would be a noticeable improvement. If you want a step up koni strt or bilstiens.
Old 11-29-2019 | 07:50 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.
Old 11-29-2019 | 10:53 PM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

At 108k they definitely need to be replaced. They aren't great to begin with, and are typically bagged out by around 60k. You'll be amazed at the difference good shocks will make. Koni or Bilstein.
Old 11-30-2019 | 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes DEFINITELY replace them. Shocks are the #1 handling improvement on FBodies. You will be *amazed* how much better it will handle. I highly suggest single adjustable KONI's (yellows) and put them on full soft. I had this setup for years (stock springs, Koni's) and the ride was not harsher than the stock shocks but it could take corners a heck of a lot more confidently. If you put the Konis on full firm, it will be hell for daily driving. Only put them on firm for racing.
Old 12-04-2019 | 05:33 PM

I wanted to follow-up with everyone. Ordered Gabriel performance shocks from Rockauto for the rear. Just finished installing them. Good thing for an impact wrench. Would never have gotten the old ones off without it. It is a southern car. Enjoyed its life in NC. I guess all of that time the nuts spend near the road, with water and such, seized them up pretty good.

Anyhow, the Gabriel performance option were a HUGE improvement on the rear. Told the wife what to order for the fronts as a Christmas present. Y'all know the drill. You have to give the wife a Christmas list or you get overlooked for the kids.

Appreciate the insight and opinions. Figured that I would encourage anyone on the fence to slip under their Trans Am to just do it!

Trending Topics

Old 12-04-2019 | 11:01 PM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

If Gabriel shocks gave you a huge improvement, imagine what a true quality shock could do. Proper dampening is even more critical on the front, so you don't want to skimp and install a cheap shock. Koni STR.T's are your most budget-friendly front shocks at $100 each and I would go with nothing less. You won't regret it!

Quick Reply: 2002 WS6 Shocks