Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI/ Afco + Weight Jack Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default UMI/ Afco + Weight Jack Install Review

Recently installed the UMI/Afco front coilovers and rear weigh jack kit on my 2001 SOM Ws6. I went with the 600/175 springs. I chose the rear weight jack kit for a couple reasons 1) I have the strano adjustable rear bar, and the coilover has shown to have some clearance issues with that bar. 2) I wanted ride height adjustability with the MWC 9", and shock adjustability inside the car. The rear coilover version requires installing upside down to have access to the adjuster.

Car also has every other UMI component on it from k-member to A-arms, along with the Strano front bar as well. I replaced the Viking Warriors.

Before we get to the install and review, I need to reference this post from DarthV8r. I concur with Darth that the Vikings have their place and purpose, just not working for me on the street, and couldn't get to like them. Great for the drag strip.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...co-review.html
The key point for both of us was getting a daily driver shock that we could hit the drag strip 1-2 times a year, vs trying to daily a drag shock.

Also want to reference this post from 2017, since I have had quite the variety of set ups. Onto Version 8 !
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ings-not-good-
I have had the following:
1) stock springs, stock shocks, stock bars
2) eibach prokit springs, stock shocks, stock bars
3) QA1's, stock rear springs, then BMR rear springs, stock bars
4) eibachs, kyb adj shocks, stock bars
5) stock springs, kyb's, strano bars
6) stock springs, Koni's, strano bars
7) 350 Viking front spring, stock rear spring, Viking Warriors, strano bars

As you can see I have tried a lot and each had their +/- 's
My OPINION is this
Versions 5-7 were the best for both street handling and strip duty. Versions 1-4 were not. Springs any stiffer than stock (usually progressive rates) were just not fun to drive around town. Obviously the shocks not able to control them was part of it. Lots of ricer bounce with 1-4. You can also see that most of the positives I experienced had to do with the Strano Bars.

There is no doubt that version 6 was the best for handling and street duty. The reason I ditched the koni's was two fold. One, I wanted more adjustability for the strip, and Two, Koni as a company sucks a bag of dicks. The shocks failed with stock springs, and they offered to check them with pressure/help from Sam. They basically determined the adjusters broke, but the shock still worked. Since they took them apart and wouldn't reassemble, basically forcing me to by new. Well then I'm out F'n D'bags.

Finally, Version 7, I chose this based on all my previous experience and what I wanted to do with the car. Plus viking is local. I wanted a firm but not harsh ride, planted handling, adjustability and flexibility to street drive, drag race, and road race. Basically the same as version 6 but with more strip adjustment to lower my 60'. I knew going in that it would not be the same as the konis due to gas vs oil shocks. This is a close as I could get it, and I feel its pretty close. It has lowered my 60'. Street driving is good, and I have noticed that setting the rebound too high will also create the ricer bounce. So maybe that was part of the OP issue. I'm not sure why the OP experienced floating, the only time I get that is when the settings are all at 0, it rides like a caddy. I have yet to get it to the road course.

----------------------------

Again big shout out to Ramey at UMI for all the help, even on weekends and during this C19 bs. He even offered and made me a revised lower perch for the rears since the spring perch locators on the MWC are smaller than stock. Unfortunately I gave him slightly the wrong dimension, my bad. So I cut and welded new rings to fit on the outside of the spring locator. Ignore the pro welds...….

The above photo was prior to adjusting them. Final ride height was at least a good 3/4" lower that this.
I re-coated the perches and spots on the rear end housing with some POR 15

Now the fronts
Due to the high rate springs, I have them set as low as possible while still holding the spring in place at full hang on the suspension.

Some final pics using my quick jacks = great investment. Final ride height = 27-1/2" rear and 27-1/4" front from ground to fender lip.

First impression
First short drive yesterday went as expected. No ricer bounce, handles like a go-cart. Right now settings are 20/40 for both front and rear. The small bumps or cracks do hit a bit hard with the rod ends in the front and the significantly stiffer springs. But it is definitely more controlled. More to come, but will need to wait since its snowing again today.

The following 2 users liked this post by No Juice:
bigbomber5 (04-20-2020), UMI Tech (04-12-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Update:
Finally some better weather. Took the car for a long Saturday cruise to burn some of the old gas. Knocked another 5 clicks off each corner and makes for a nice cruise setting.

The solid front top mounts to make for some harsh bumps on the bridge expansion joints but that's about it.
The following users liked this post:
rentedmule (04-20-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Did your vikings have any clearance issues with the strano bar? I ask because I have vikings with a Spohn drag bar with no clearance issues and I'm considering switching to Afco/UMI on all 4 corners. Do you think the rear weight jack kit will result in any slower 60 ft times than the standard rear UMI/Afco coil overs? What rear weight jack kit did you get? Race or street? Also what rotors are those front and rear? Those are the 4 piston CTSV brembos with gen 5 camaro style aftermarket rotors or other?

Can you post the part #'s for your entire new setup (shocks and springs) for the front and rear?
Old 04-23-2020, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Did your vikings have any clearance issues with the strano bar? I ask because I have vikings with a Spohn drag bar with no clearance issues and I'm considering switching to Afco/UMI on all 4 corners. Do you think the rear weight jack kit will result in any slower 60 ft times than the standard rear UMI/Afco coil overs? What rear weight jack kit did you get? Race or street? Also what rotors are those front and rear? Those are the 4 piston CTSV brembos with gen 5 camaro style aftermarket rotors or other?

Can you post the part #'s for your entire new setup (shocks and springs) for the front and rear?
I had no clearance issues with the Strano rear bar and the Viking rear shocks. I did not have the rear coilovers and didn't order new rear coilovers because the coilovers are known to have clearance issues with the adjustable rear bars. I wouldn't think the weight jacks would cause any slower 60' it has more to do with the shock and not where the spring is. I went with the Street version of the weight jack with the 175 lb spring.
Fronts
https://www.umiperformance.com/home/...-adj-monotube/

Rears
https://www.umiperformance.com/home/...-200lb-street/

The front brakes are CTS-V Brembos with C6 Z06 rotors

Quick Reply: UMI/ Afco + Weight Jack Install Review