Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Air ride or coilover

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020 | 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

Default Air ride or coilover

which do you think is big for a full size performance car. like a old Chevelle.
Old 05-21-2020 | 06:43 AM
Staging Lane

When speaking with RideTech they said that there is no performance difference , just a matter of preference. Perhaps for a given ride height... but with air bags the more you inflate them the more spring rate increases. Conversely, as you lower the car spring rate drops. Despite seeing RideTech racing their products in all the Chevy magazines etc I still don’t imagine that a hard core racer would choose bags over coil overs.

My car is entirely street driven (so far) and I did go for RideTech shockwaves (Fbody) in the front and cool rides in the rear. I don’t regret it at all. Ride height changes are a snap and bags are naturally extremely progressive.

I was concerned that the shock used in the shockwave would not be as good as my Konis. But it drives comfortably. I still have the Konis in the rear paired with the ooolRide bag.

I couldn’t stump up for the fancy controller etc. So, I ran lines into the trunk with shrader valves (provided by RideTech) and I can inflate each corner from there with a tire inflator. In the future it could be easily plumbed into a compressor.
I don’t think that you’d be disappointed with air bags as long as you go with a reputable company. That being said, for a plain air spring that does not included an integrated shock firestone is the go to supplier. If you can discover the part number that you need you can buy the air bag pretty cheap through Amazon or a 4X4 outfitter. You would need to fabricate your own bracket to mount it at that point though.
Give RideTech a call. They are great to deal with.
Jon
Old 05-21-2020 | 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

I have had both air bags and Coilovers on A body cars. For a street car air bags are a great choice, for all out performance coilovers are hard to beat. JMO.

Quick Reply: Air ride or coilover