Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

thrust align after MWC torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 06:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thrust align after MWC torque arm

I just got my 2000 SS back on the road after the TH400 9 inch conversion,I used an MWC frame mount tunnel torque arm,so here is the issue,the thrust angle is off by a long shot,lca's are adjustable along with panhard.Now when I installed the frame mount tunnel torque arm it had 2 bolt hole positions,one fit perfect but Id have to beat the **** out the floor to get it to not rub,so I used the other set,I think this other set which kicks the rear end more to the right is my problem.Adusting the panhard and the LCA seems like the wrong way to go about it if the angle is off that much from the alternate bolts I used.Ive heard several people say they prefer BMR to avoid issues such as this.I think I wouldnt have an issue with the original bolts holes that lines up but it would have rubbed the floor.Im this close to going with a BMR frame mount torque arm.Anyone seen this?I think if I switch bolt holes Im probably good but I had to cut the original diff mount to get it to clear the center section.IDK if I should modify the floor and replace the mount from MWC that attaches to the diff(the one I cut)or go BMR and be done with it?I verified all this on the alignment rack at work but I already knew when it darts to the left launching from a dig.Any suggestions would be nice,thanks in advance.

Last edited by HATEDBIRD; 05-18-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a spohn torque arm it too has two sets of bolt holes that you can use to bolt it to the diff. I have used both sets and I can say my car launched perfectly straight using either set of holes, it did not move the rear end at all. And yes if you use the outermost holes you will have to beat the **** out of your tunnel. Hope this helps
Old 05-18-2020, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 80/TA/LT1
I have a spohn torque arm it too has two sets of bolt holes that you can use to bolt it to the diff. I have used both sets and I can say my car launched perfectly straight using either set of holes, it did not move the rear end at all. And yes if you use the outermost holes you will have to beat the **** out of your tunnel. Hope this helps
Beat the **** out of your floor is correct lol.I think Im going to start with the panhard rod to set the thrust straight and see if that gets me in spec.A very helpful guy at UMI told me the torque arm would have no effect on thrust angle no matter what bolt holes you use.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

You have a stamped nine inch it appears by your post. A stamped nine inch by design moves the mounting point of the torque arm roughly a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch towards the driver side and moves the pinion the same amount in the other direction. There is no stock style mounting torque arm that fixes this well known issue.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
You have a stamped nine inch it appears by your post. A stamped nine inch by design moves the mounting point of the torque arm roughly a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch towards the driver side and moves the pinion the same amount in the other direction. There is no stock style mounting torque arm that fixes this well known issue.
so how do I go about fixing it?
I feel like a thrust set with the panhard is the starting point,then adjust lcas is needed the recheck the thrust.Im no chassis guy by no means

Last edited by HATEDBIRD; 05-18-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by HATEDBIRD
so how do I go about fixing it?
I feel like a thrust set with the panhard is the starting point,then adjust lcas is needed the recheck the thrust.Im no chassis guy by no means
If your vehicle lowered the only fix is to cut the floor out to make room for the torque arm. Some have purchased our two piece torque arm and eliminated this problem as well.

The only way to adjust left to right is the panhard bar. It needs to be adjusted at the vehicles desired ride height with the air pressure correct and driver in the vehicle. Then adjust the LCA to center the wheel in the wheel well. After doing both then recheck alignment.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
If your vehicle lowered the only fix is to cut the floor out to make room for the torque arm. Some have purchased our two piece torque arm and eliminated this problem as well.

The only way to adjust left to right is the panhard bar. It needs to be adjusted at the vehicles desired ride height with the air pressure correct and driver in the vehicle. Then adjust the LCA to center the wheel in the wheel well. After doing both then recheck alignment.
A few local chassis guys all are saying what you are so that's the route Im going
BTW MWC has been very helpful throughout this 9 inch th 400 conversion so a big thanks to them & especially Jason I this his name is?Ive taken a few minutes of his life away by asking so may questions.
Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: thrust align after MWC torque arm