Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension overhaul kit for comfort/ride quality on 01 WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020 | 07:35 PM
Launching!

Default Suspension overhaul kit for comfort/ride quality on 01 WS6?

Have had my 01 WS6 since I was 17, and kept it over the years. I've got other cars in the stable now that will always be fast/handle better, but I plan to keep the WS6 forever. I worked two jobs all summer to scrape together the money to buy the fastest car a high school kid could afford at the time and speed was a priority over comfort to say the least. On that note, the suspension is all original with around 100k miles on it and the ride quality is as would be expected, very stiff, with creaking noise coming from the front recently. Any bump in the road sends me into the ceiling

Now that I have the resources, I'd like to overhaul the entire suspension and while I don't want nor expect what a new luxury car feels like, I'd like to go with a kit that will make the car comfortable for what I plan to use the car for, cruising on nice days. I know I could probably part and piece everything together to achieve this, but if anyone knows of a full kit that includes everything I need to accomplish this I'd love the suggestions. Most of the kits I see are performance/autocross oriented and while I don't want to lose performance, I figure 20 years of technology/innovation may have produced some aftermarket options that bring modern comfort without compromising performance.
Old 06-21-2020 | 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cascadesys
Have had my 01 WS6 since I was 17, and kept it over the years. I've got other cars in the stable now that will always be fast/handle better, but I plan to keep the WS6 forever. I worked two jobs all summer to scrape together the money to buy the fastest car a high school kid could afford at the time and speed was a priority over comfort to say the least. On that note, the suspension is all original with around 100k miles on it and the ride quality is as would be expected, very stiff, with creaking noise coming from the front recently. Any bump in the road sends me into the ceiling

Now that I have the resources, I'd like to overhaul the entire suspension and while I don't want nor expect what a new luxury car feels like, I'd like to go with a kit that will make the car comfortable for what I plan to use the car for, cruising on nice days. I know I could probably part and piece everything together to achieve this, but if anyone knows of a full kit that includes everything I need to accomplish this I'd love the suggestions. Most of the kits I see are performance/autocross oriented and while I don't want to lose performance, I figure 20 years of technology/innovation may have produced some aftermarket options that bring modern comfort without compromising performance.
springs, shocks, bushings, tires.........those are basically the only things that have any influence on ride quality. These cars were designed to turn corners, and as such, the "ride" was designed to be stiff. You can order springs with less rate than factory, but you'll have to experiment with shocks to find one that compliments the springs. Just mixing parts together will leave you disappointed. I'd start by getting into the Moog catalogue and ordering as many new bushings as you can find. Then I'd call Sam Strano and discuss your goals with him. He knows these suspensions, and can put you a spring/shock package together. That's what he does. He can also, most likely, get you most of the replacement bushings you may need. I'd bet WS6store can put you a package together as well, just be sure to stress that you're looking for better ride quality. Another thing is tires. How old and hard are yours? Maybe try stepping up a notch on the aspect ratio to absorb more shock load?
Old 06-22-2020 | 09:13 AM
Launching!

Great tips, thank you. I suppose I should clarify that I'm fine with the ride being stiff but I want to eliminate the rattles/creaking/etc and make everything feel more solid if that makes sense. Right now it drives like the nearly 20 year old car it and since I plan to keep the car forever I'm willing to invest in making it ride nicely.
Old 06-22-2020 | 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 For calling Sam Strano. FWIW I had Koni (yellow) adjustable shocks set to full soft on stock springs and the ride was controlled and sporty yet not too harsh for normal driving. I set them to full firm for autocross. I felt that was a good compromise for ride quality and sportiness. I now have Strano lowering springs too, which is a little firmer but not by a whole lot. Also my street tires (275/40/17s) have more sidewall so the ride is less harsh than my race tires (315/30/18s), sidewall helps smooth out bumps. Some new bushing around will help with other squeaks probably.

Quick Reply: Suspension overhaul kit for comfort/ride quality on 01 WS6?