Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upgraded suspension constantly bottoming out

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Upgraded suspension constantly bottoming out

In an effort to improve the handling and ride quality on my mostly stock 01 WS6, I recently put a some money into overhauling the suspension. My local LS1 shop did a nice job on the project and recommended Koni Street shocks (orange) all around, BMR upper and lower control arms all around, a BMR 1.25" lowering kit, and a BMR Panhard rod. Handling definitely seems improved, however it seems any moderate dip or bump in the road is now bottoming out the suspension which is going against my original desire to improve the ride quality since it is accompanies by a loud BANG and a kick in the ***, and I can't imagine this is great for the car either. Is this to be expected with the configuration above or are there adjustments or changes I could make to solve this?
Old 07-12-2021, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Where is it bottoming out?

If it just hits the bump stops, shorter ones may be the fix you need
Old 07-12-2021, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the rear, should the first step be for me to stick my head under there and check the rear bump stops for sign of impact?
Old 07-13-2021, 11:28 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cascadesys
In an effort to improve the handling and ride quality on my mostly stock 01 WS6, I recently put a some money into overhauling the suspension. My local LS1 shop did a nice job on the project and recommended Koni Street shocks (orange) all around, BMR upper and lower control arms all around, a BMR 1.25" lowering kit, and a BMR Panhard rod. Handling definitely seems improved, however it seems any moderate dip or bump in the road is now bottoming out the suspension which is going against my original desire to improve the ride quality since it is accompanies by a loud BANG and a kick in the ***, and I can't imagine this is great for the car either. Is this to be expected with the configuration above or are there adjustments or changes I could make to solve this?
Since it is lowered I would check and see if you are just hittting the bumpstops.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-16-2021, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should share pics of your bump-stops at ride height and a shot of them once you get under there, as there are a lot of variables (such as, have they rotted off?). Look for witness marks on the axle where the bump-stops contact, but also along the panhard bar, and the torque arm--especially if that isn't stock. Sometimes the exhaust turns out to be the source of a loud bang, so look at that too.

See where that gets you. If you want to see where things bottom out, it is not hard to lift the car on jack stands, support the axle on the jack, disconnect the lower shock mounts, remove the springs, temporarily replace the shock mounts, and raise the axle up until it hits something. That will tell you exactly how much travel you have, and what it is hitting.

Quick Reply: Upgraded suspension constantly bottoming out