Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strut replacement on a lowered car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 04:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut replacement on a lowered car.

So I don't usually mess with suspension related stuff on cars, so I don't exactly know how to go about this. I want to do some maintenance to the suspension on my car, and one thing I need right now is to get new struts. My original plan was to get the struts and springs together, so that it would be an easy replacement to do. The problem I'm having though, is that my car was lowered before I got it and since it was probably done by replacing the spring, I don't think I can do that. So is there a way to tell if the springs have been replaced with lowering springs, and if so, is my only option to get the struts and move the springs over? Also, do I need to get a certain type of struts if the springs have been replaced, or can I just get struts that would replace the original struts? I want to make sure that the ride height doesn't change when I replace the struts. I know these are probably noob questions, but I am trying to learn all of this so that I can replace these on my own. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Shannon,
Old 07-25-2021, 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

sam strano offers complete strut assemblies ....if thats what you want check him out
Old 07-27-2021, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The only way to really tell if they are lowering springs is by looking at them...stock springs are black and have a yellow tag on them. Also as far as swapping the springs over it's fairly simple and your ride height should not change with replacement shocks if you use the same springs.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok that's what I was thinking but I didn't know for sure, thanks for letting me know! I may go ahead and get the new springs anyways just because the car is dragging the ground way too much. I want to keep it lowered but it might be a little too low as it is. Between the exhaust hanging a little lower since it's an aftermarket exhaust and the lowering springs, the lowest point (the exhaust pipe) sits about 1.5in off the ground and it's a huge pain sometimes. I could probably find some lowering springs that will let the car sit just a little bit higher from where it is right now, but still be lower than stock. Thanks again for the help!

Also.. I'm still in the process of fixing my exhaust after a speed bump ripped an exhaust pipe off.. just to tell you how much of a pain it is being lowered sometimes

Quick Reply: Strut replacement on a lowered car.