Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Issues with front suspension feeling "bouncy"

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Issues with front suspension feeling "bouncy"

My issue:
When I go over dips/bumps or accelerate on anything but perfect roads, the front of the car bounces instead of staying planted. I started to notice this issue after a local garage installed Koni yellows (SA) and Strano springs. I did not seem to have this issue with Bilsteins and stock springs.

My car:
1995 Z28 with Strano springs, sway bars and Koni yellows (using whatever the default dampening setting is, I can't reach the adjuster as the spring is in the way)

What I've tried:
* Shaking wheel left to right. Discovered some play, but not sure if it's normal play or excessive. I have a video below google photos album showing how much play I am getting

My suspicions (One or more of the following):
* Other worn suspension components (ball joint, tie rod end) that was already bad, but made more apparent after the car was lowered
* Installer error (See attached photos)
* Defect in manufacturing of Springs or Shocks.

Video:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...poSEFzT21xZFR3

Google photos album showing shock/spring setup/install and parts that look worn out to me
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qZftC1Jd1gQWQsAZ9

What should I be checking to isolate where the issue could be?

Last edited by Epro; 08-01-2021 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Added more photos to photos album of parts that look worn out to me.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Sounds like shock valving to me, So you might want to reach that adjuster. Worn parts will cause a loose feeling in the wheel and may dart around but has little to do with bouncing....that what the shock are there to control.

Edit: I looked at your pictures. Looks like an old suspension, Picture can't tell you if it's worn out though but definitely needs attention because if they aren't worn out yet they soon will be with cracked/split boots on the joints.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might check if they used the rubber isolators and the washers on the bottom of the shock mounts. If not, the shock rods are easily pushed through the mounts. If that's what happened, your shocks are effectively not attached to the car and all you have are the springs hence the bouncing. You'll have to get the front end in the air and pull the tires off to check.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PowerJunkie
You might check if they used the rubber isolators and the washers on the bottom of the shock mounts. If not, the shock rods are easily pushed through the mounts. If that's what happened, your shocks are effectively not attached to the car and all you have are the springs hence the bouncing. You'll have to get the front end in the air and pull the tires off to check.
I don't see rubber isolaters? Where is it supposed to be?

Old 08-01-2021, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Sounds like shock valving to me, So you might want to reach that adjuster. Worn parts will cause a loose feeling in the wheel and may dart around but has little to do with bouncing....that what the shock are there to control.

Edit: I looked at your pictures. Looks like an old suspension, Picture can't tell you if it's worn out though but definitely needs attention because if they aren't worn out yet they soon will be with cracked/split boots on the joints.
Making a cart for replacement parts on rockauto now. Like you said, probably not related to bouncing but I could be wrong.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just realized your post said bottom of the mount, not the bottom of the shock. This looks complete to me.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I must have missed that scrolling through your pictures.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it normal to not be able to access the adjuster because the spring is in the way?
Old 08-02-2021, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Epro
Is it normal to not be able to access the adjuster because the spring is in the way?
If the installation wasn’t done correctly, yes. I say this having all the parts to do this job myself quite soon. The big washer on top of the shock shaft and shaft orientation are super important.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AnthonyS
If the installation wasn’t done correctly, yes. I say this having all the parts to do this job myself quite soon. The big washer on top of the shock shaft and shaft orientation are super important.
Which washer is this?
Old 08-18-2021, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure the big washer is on the strut rod and under the rubber top mount.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:44 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

And then there is the metal washer/grommet IN the upper mount. If that is gone or corroded, it could cause the issues you describe.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Going through my old posts, just thought I'd post this was the answer.

Quick Reply: Issues with front suspension feeling "bouncy"