Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Advice for stripped Bilstein shock stud

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Advice for stripped Bilstein shock stud

Hello everyone,

This is my first thread however I've been on the forums for some time. To get straight to the point I went to install LCA relocation brackets and BMR adjustable lower control arms on my '01 Z28. Mind you the previous owner had BMR lowering 1.5" springs and Bilstein HD shocks installed less than 2K miles ago. So I went to unthread the stud bolted to the axle on the right side and found it completely stripped. So much that it won't unthread itself. I contacted Bilstein and they say the stud assembly can't be replaced, they recommended a whole new shock.
​​​
I looked around the forums and found this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/1777520-broken-shock-bolt-can-anything-done.html

There a Dorman 31001 universal bolt and bushing assembly worked. I'm considering trying it out but I wanted second opinions. Buying a new shock seems unnecessary.

​​​​​​Would any of you trust that Dorman part as a replacement to the original stud assembly?

Thank you!
Old 08-25-2021, 08:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Yes, I would trust them. Dorman makes fine products.

On my car, I would be inclined to install the part on both sides of the car so everything matches side-to-side. (Finer measurements, hardware, etc.)
Old 08-25-2021, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yes, I would trust them. Dorman makes fine products.

On my car, I would be inclined to install the part on both sides of the car so everything matches side-to-side. (Finer measurements, hardware, etc.)

Awesome, thank you for the reply. I'll give it a shot for both shocks so that everything is even. I imagine it will have the same ride quality compared to the original bushing, hopefully.

Quick Reply: Advice for stripped Bilstein shock stud