Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Want to change to Koni's ..do I need springs too...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Want to change to Koni's ..do I need springs too...?

I just purchased a bone stock '01 T/A convertible with just 18k on the clock. It's going to be strictly a street cruiser but I want to do some bolt-on improvements this Winter.

For suspension I am looking at the UMI STR.T kit which includes the orange Koni shocks and lowering springs. I don't really want to lower the car because of the streets around here AND I am getting older and its a trick to get in/out of (who would have ever thought).

BUT - I have an annoying creak / squeak coming from the front drivers side and we've narrowed it down to where the spring mounts or maybe the shock..... whatever it is it has to GO.
I realize the car is 20-years old but with such low miles do the springs really need replaced....? Will it be that advantageous to lower the car.... and since I'm going to have it apart anyway.......
I also have SBC and a bigger anti-sway bar on the way........then onto getting more HP......
Thanks in advance....
Old 09-17-2021, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It's time for mine to switch also (50k miles), was talking to my local mechanic who I've always gone to with my cars. Basically just decided on Koni shocks and using factory springs pending they're fine when removed. I actually like the look of the stock height on my car and have a lot of unfriendly lowered car areas in my city. Most likely the creaking is coming from your shocks anyways, just replacing those with koni or bilstein will be a huge improvement in ride quality and noise.
The following users liked this post:
gjohnsonws6 (01-24-2022)
Old 09-17-2021, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I ran on factory springs with Koni's for years. It's fine. I autocrossed on them, still a great improvement without lowering springs. But the ride is definitely more comfortable with the shocks set to full soft! Still a huge improvement over old shocks - tho the shock firmness seemed to make more of a ride difference than the lowering springs did.
TLDR; Konis with stock springs is a good combo.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

On the creaks - ckeck your sway bar bushings and mounts and the little stands they bolt onto. Those stands can get stress cracks over time, or start to fully shear apart then.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Stock springs will likely be fine. New shocks will make a difference. I have the orange konis and happy with them.

My car squeaked like that too. I greased the sway bay mounting and end link contact points and the squeaking stopped.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:43 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the oranges offer a lower perch like the yellows?
Old 09-20-2021, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrumpJuan
Doesn't look like it on the orange shocks. They are more of a street replacement I believe.

Last edited by Bondservant2; 09-20-2021 at 07:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-20-2021, 08:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DrumpJuan
no they dont
Old 09-20-2021, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Im running koni yellows with factory springs on the lower perch and cobra rear isolators, this lowered my car slightly (maybe a lil more then half an inch) and it rides great to me. The shocks by themselves are a huge improvement
capelajc (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
Im running koni yellows with factory springs on the lower perch and cobra rear isolators, this lowered my car slightly (maybe a lil more then half an inch) and it rides great to me. The shocks by themselves are a huge improvement
I’m seriously considering switching back to stock springs on my Koni’s. Tired of bottoming out and having to worry about scrapping. I threw my originals out over 15 years ago so I’ll have to get a fresh set.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by capelajc
I’m seriously considering switching back to stock springs on my Koni’s. Tired of bottoming out and having to worry about scrapping. I threw my originals out over 15 years ago so I’ll have to get a fresh set.
yeah that's the main reason I didn't go with lowering springs. Honestly with the stock springs up front on the lower perch and the cobra isolators in the rear it looks like how it should have been from the factory.
capelajc (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
yeah that's the main reason I didn't go with lowering springs. Honestly with the stock springs up front on the lower perch and the cobra isolators in the rear it looks like how it should have been from the factory.
I’ve changed my bump stops, made excuses on why rear suspension bottoms out. I love the look of it lowered but tired of the sacrificed ride quality. It’s tolerable if you drive by yourself on decent roads but if you want to take your wife for a nice ride it’s annoying! I have way too much money into to ride like that. You got 03-04 Cobra rear isolators?
Old 09-22-2021, 06:05 AM
Teching In

I’ve changed my bump stops, made excuses on why rear suspension bottoms out. I love the look of it lowered but tired of the sacrificed ride quality. It’s tolerable if you drive by yourself on decent roads but if you want to take your wife for a nice ride it’s annoying! I have way too much money into to ride like that. You got 03-04 Cobra rear isolators?
Can you educate me on the Cobra rear isolator setup..? Part numbers…?
Old 09-22-2021, 06:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bondservant2
Can you educate me on the Cobra rear isolator setup..? Part numbers…?
i was also looking for Quiet_Storm98 or someone to educate me on the Cobra isolators. I’m switching back to stock springs on my Koni yellows.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

yes i have the cobra rear isolators...here is a thread with the before and after pic and the second post has a link to them
Used prothane cobra rear isolators instead of heater hose mod - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion
Old 09-22-2021, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

Thank you. I went to that link and funny enough I was in that thread back then looking to lift my car with the spacer the other poster had in the thread. Lol. Definitely switching back over the winter this year!
Old 09-22-2021, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Thank you. I went to that link and funny enough I was in that thread back then looking to lift my car with the spacer the other poster had in the thread. Lol. Definitely switching back over the winter this year!
lol yeah i noticed...you got a fab 9 inch from MWC recently right? I noticed cuz I saw you in a thread i was searching cuz I'm in the market for a rear but will probably be going with an S60
Old 09-22-2021, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, put it in a couple months ago. Love it so far! Zero issues with it.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Those isolators appear to be out-of-stock everywhere I looked......
Old 09-22-2021, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bondservant2
Those isolators appear to be out-of-stock everywhere I looked......
I’m not positive but I think the link in that thread is for the lower isolators. Which would act as more of a spacer. We would want the Cobra upper ones

Quick Reply: Want to change to Koni's ..do I need springs too...?