Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what do you guys recommend

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you guys recommend

i am building a street car the usual hci and was wondering what type of suspension you guys recommended that aint too pricy buydget is 700$ and i would also like to lower the car an inch or mYbe a lil more i am running 19 rear and 18front wheels
Old 01-18-2022, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

I recommend getting with Sam Strano. He's a sponsor.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been pleased with the koni SRT-t shocks and bmr springs. I intended to buy stranos, but he was out of stock with no eta at the time unfortunately. I had some unbranded red springs on the car prior from a previous owner that rode horribly and sat too low. I've also got an adjustable panhard bar to re center the rear axle.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Koni strt struts, bmr or strano springs, adjustable panhard bar. Get new top strut mounts. The top nut is probably rusted and destroyed.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lsgrief
i am building a street car the usual hci and was wondering what type of suspension you guys recommended that aint too pricy buydget is 700$ and i would also like to lower the car an inch or mYbe a lil more i am running 19 rear and 18front wheels
700 budget.....

1. Check all Bushings and Ball Joints and Replace if necessary! Worn out joints and bushings will create slop.

2.Strano Sway Bar Set and Spohn Spherical Rod Ends (Optional). Spherical Sway Bar Ends are definitely not a must, but I like the idea of less binding. The Strano Sway Bar Set comes with new Sway Bar Ends anyways. $420 to 570.

3. New Bump Stops. Make sure your rear bump stops are good! Especially if you will lower it. They are way overpriced for sure, but do yourself a favor and look for gm replacement ones. Not worth spending time, effort, headaches modifying them in my opinion.

4. Koni Single Adjustable Yellow Shocks $535

If you get the Koni Single Adjustable shocks, the fronts have an adjustable perch. If you use the lower perch you will get close to a 3/4 inch drop in the front. Then you can use the the heater hose mod (look it up) to do a 1/2 to a 3/4 inch drop in the back. Free suspension drop and no need to buy new springs (unless your original springs are worn out)
Old 01-21-2022, 02:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Periodically I remember to swing by, when I have a little time. So I was just catching up. We can certainly discuss options. As you can see my springs are pretty well liked, and I work hard on that. But it doesn't mean you have to have springs, mine or otherwise. But remember that unlike most other placed I still carry other options, no just my own. Sometimes there are reasons to do that, and sometimes there are reasons to not run a lowering spring at all.

Yes, you can do Koni Sport front and run the lower perch for a drop, it won't be an inch, but 1/2 to 3/4. And can keep your stock springs if you want. You can run a lowering spring, though I will tell you now anybody who claims a spring will change your height by an exact amount is full of ****. I don't make that claim, what I do is point folks to all the many pictures of cars on my springs to see if they like what they see. Impossible to know what your stock springs were, if they were strong or weak, if they were cut, etc. The thing folks want to know is where they will end up and a picture or a lot of them is a lot more viable method of showing them than some random drop claim.

13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
The following 2 users liked this post by Sam Strano:
Tyler Dietzenbach (01-23-2022), Ws6_phoenix (01-21-2022)

Quick Reply: what do you guys recommend