Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shock Tower Brace

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Shock Tower Brace

I am looking for recommendations for a shock tower brace. I had a BMR that I removed so that I could install a vented oil cap; it wouldn't fit under what I had. I can absolutely tell the difference in not having one.
I figure it will either sit higher for clearance or the bar angles back.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

I had one but had to remove it due to the intake height and honestly I feel no difference. That being said every other aspect of my suspension is new.

All that I have seen for the 4th gens look about the same. Not sure anyone makes one that is angled back.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I am a little confused as to why your strut tower brace would be blocking a vented oil cap. What style of BMR brace? The wider ones with multiple tubes or the one that is a single tube from strut tower to strut tower?

A single tube brace like this: shouldn't be blocking anything in the oil cap area.

Amazon.com: BMR Suspension STB001R F-Body Shock Tower Brace V8 (93-02), 1 Pack : Automotive Amazon.com: BMR Suspension STB001R F-Body Shock Tower Brace V8 (93-02), 1 Pack : Automotive
Old 03-31-2022, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghardester
I am a little confused as to why your strut tower brace would be blocking a vented oil cap. What style of BMR brace? The wider ones with multiple tubes or the one that is a single tube from strut tower to strut tower?

A single tube brace like this: shouldn't be blocking anything in the oil cap area.

Amazon.com: BMR Suspension STB001R F-Body Shock Tower Brace V8 (93-02), 1 Pack : Automotive
Hard to tell by the pic as to what the clearance is. The tower brace runs right over the oil cap. It may have a couple of inches of clearance but with the cap that I now have, I need 4 inches.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Typical 2pt 4th Gen Shock Tower Brace goes on top and runs between the shock towers like this Hotchkiss. Some are single tube like BMR & some are twintube like Hotchkiss. Both are marginal in any sort of normal street driving but they look nice. There's also a 3pt etc that ties back to the cowl area.

Hotchkiss & LS6 intake w/90mm snout. Lots of room. No spacers needed.

The Hotchkiss is easy to fit with a 102 LSXR intake. Just needs a small spacer under the mount points to raise it slightly.

Same idea may work with BMR, I don't know.

Strano's special brake master cylinder Brace to prevent fire wall flex under extreme braking only fits with the BMR style from what I gather.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah ... I was looking at that Hotchkis piece and was actually curious if it Strano's MC brace would work with it ... and there were the pics that you sent! I have one and love it .....
I may have to look into spacing what I have .... or go with some other solution to my vented cap, because I can definitely feel the difference without the brace. I'm sure I would get used to it over time, but I'd rather not get used to it!
The following users liked this post:
99 Black Bird T/A (03-31-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Hard to tell by the pic as to what the clearance is. The tower brace runs right over the oil cap. It may have a couple of inches of clearance but with the cap that I now have, I need 4 inches.

I see now. I just checked the single tube BMR brace on mine and no, that breather cap will not fit under it. There is only about 2 1/2 inches.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here are a couple of pics to further illustrate what's going on. Obviously the bar is not bolted down. I was running a breather that was at 90 degrees under the bar, but it allowed unmetered air into the intake. That piece has a check valve and will not allow air into the crankcase - only out. I'm just trying to control the amount of oil that I'm using. If I could attached that breather straight to the valve cover itself, I'd do that. I use a funnel anyhow - when I add oil.

Old 04-02-2022, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think pair of thin spacers under the STB will solve that.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
I think pair of thin spacers under the STB will solve that.
I wouldn't be able to add oil though. I was thinking if I could clock that plastic fill piece 45 degrees - it would work.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Should work
Old 04-04-2022, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A

Should work
Unfortunately I would not be able to pull the filter off to be able to use that funnel. it would be great if I could swivel it but no.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil fill adapter

Why not just buy the mighty mouse oil fill adapter or another brand...and just run filter on that. Get rid of that 45 that sticks up so far.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 147 Posts

Would a STB for a v6 car work? They are taller to clear the alternator.
Old 04-12-2022, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nathan C
Would a STB for a v6 car work? They are taller to clear the alternator.
It's possible ... but I'm probably just going to scrap the vented cap idea and put my BMR bar back on it. The reason for it all was to try to curb the amount of oil that my newly built stroker is using. It didn't make any difference.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Here are a couple of pics to further illustrate what's going on. Obviously the bar is not bolted down. I was running a breather that was at 90 degrees under the bar, but it allowed unmetered air into the intake. That piece has a check valve and will not allow air into the crankcase - only out. I'm just trying to control the amount of oil that I'm using. If I could attached that breather straight to the valve cover itself, I'd do that. I use a funnel anyhow - when I add oil.

I’m not all that certain about unmetered air going in via the valve cover. The VC isn’t under vacuum, if you stick your hand over the breather and rev the motor you won’t feel any suction.
I’ve been running one for years and years on a supercharged OBDI car without issue. I’ve never data-logged but it’s been on the dyno and the tuner never mentioned it. If unmetered air was getting in the motor would probably stumble a little I’m guessing. Kind of like a vacuum leak. You can remove the oil fill cap with the engine running and nothing at all will happen. That’s a pretty big hole for air to get into if it were going to. Maybe a little air does get in, but I’ve only seen steam coming out and it runs the same no matter which cap is on.
FWIW it also has a strut tower brace but I can’t really tell a difference when it’s off or on. It looks cooler on though.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ended up with the best of both worlds. I have to loosen the STB to add oil. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Shock Tower Brace