Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BRAKE warning light

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BRAKE warning light

The car is a 1996 Z28/SS got a brake warning light on the dash. Thank goodness I have a pair of factory manuals, went through the troubleshooting guide, the light goes off when the proportioning valve switch is unplugged. Correcting it seems simple enough, the spool valve is out of place for whatever reason, closing the switch illuminating the dash light. There is so little info available that is specific to our cars however and I’m just tryin to get a heads-up or a little guidance before I remove the thing and disassemble it to try and free that spool valve. Things like, is it able to be fully disassembled? Will I need to replace o-rings and seals? Are rebuild kits available and what is the part number? Any gotchas to be prepared for along the way? I’ll probably start with simply removing the switch and making sure it isn’t the problem. Thanks for any help fellas.
Old 04-10-2022, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 405 Posts

Most of the time when the spool valve sets off the light it is because there is a brake fluid leak in the front or rear brake system. I would check for leaks before disassembling the proportioning valve.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:48 AM
Launching!

Sorry so slow on the reply, I thought LS1Tech would give you a notice that someone had replied to a thread you’ve started. But to answer, no. There are no leaks and the fluid level isn’t low. Very first thing I checked. Not a noob.
Old 04-23-2022, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

It could also be the parking brake handle switch. I’ve seen those get dirty and cause the light to stay on.
The following users liked this post:
LilJayV10 (04-23-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Nope. As the original post said, the light turns off when the switch on the prop valve is unplugged. It’s definitely the spool in the prop valve.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by YodiBrodi
Nope. As the original post said, the light turns off when the switch on the prop valve is unplugged. It’s definitely the spool in the prop valve.
I apologize, I missed that in the post.

Quick Reply: BRAKE warning light