Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Super rough ride with all new suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Super rough ride with all new suspension

So on my convertible 00 SS I redid the rear suspension with bilstein shocks, bmr lcas, and a moog phb since the cars mostly stock. The fronts I went bilsteins struts with mevotech strut mounts, kyb isolators, mevotech upper and lower control arms, and moog tie rod ends. Everything is tightened up and got the car aligned and seems like it rides really rough and sometimes the steering wheel jolts to the sides pretty badly, the convertible top rattles excessively, and overall the car just feels super harsh on bumps. I have a 99 ttop with the same setup on lowering springs and don't have this issue at all.. Not sure if it's because its a convertible and has less structural support or if there's something I'm missing. Car is stock ride height on the stock springs.
Old 04-18-2022, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Something doesn't sound right. It rides harsher now than before those suspension mods? Do the Mevotec upper & lower LCA's have a stock type bushing? How many miles on the car?

Not familiar with Mevotec's parts.

My 02 Z28 rode harshly and had a lot of bump & steer issues before its suspension rebuild because the top shock mounts were about to pull through because they had rusted out. Here's one of them.

02 Z28 has Strano's Springs, Koni SRT.T's, Hawk's Sinister adjustable rear LCA's & Panhard and rides good. It's not quite as well as the 99 T/A with ~167,000 miles has Bilsteins (SLP valved) & Eibach Pro springs. Stock front control arms. Rear UMI Roto-joint LCA's & Panhard. Bilsteins are the better riding shocks on these cars in my experience.

Both set ups ride good in my opinion.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Was the car sitting at ride height when the suspension was tightened? I wonder if the control arms are binding and that’s the rough feeling you are getting.
The following users liked this post:
Rich-L79 (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Did you put the dog bones in the upper front shock mounts?
Old 04-21-2022, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by banshe5
Was the car sitting at ride height when the suspension was tightened? I wonder if the control arms are binding and that’s the rough feeling you are getting.
Bingo. If the control arm bolts were tightened with the suspension hanging and at full droop the suspension will be bound up a bunch when you put it back on the ground.

Last edited by Rich-L79; 04-25-2022 at 11:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LilJayV10 (04-22-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rich-L79
Bingo. If the control arm bolts were tightened with the suspension hanging and full droop the suspension will be bound up a bunch when you put it back on the ground.
I read that the top arms can't be tightened on both sides when assembled. Any idea If the work around is to tighten the one accessible side at ride height. Then remove it and tighten the other side and reinstall? The thought being tightening the one accessible bolt will hold it in the right angle? I'm gonna be doing this soon myself.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tightened the upper arms out of the car which may have been my issue and yes the isolators were installed on the mounts.

Quick Reply: Super rough ride with all new suspension