Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

98 Camaro suspension upgrades/questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 08:38 AM
Launching!

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Default 98 Camaro suspension upgrades/questions

I have a few things going on the car this week and I have some questions if anyone can assist..

Upgrades going on:
-BMR lowering Springs
-Koni Strts
-BMR rear LCA's
-BMR upper and lower control arms
-BMR Panhard bar

My question(s) are:

1. The springs going on the Koni's will I need a compressor tool to get those seated or are the springs low enough to zip right on?
2. the rear LCA's going on, does the suspension need to be loaded when installing these?
Old 06-20-2022, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998 t/a
I have a few things going on the car this week and I have some questions if anyone can assist..

Upgrades going on:
-BMR lowering Springs
-Koni Strts
-BMR rear LCA's
-BMR upper and lower control arms
-BMR Panhard bar

My question(s) are:

1. The springs going on the Koni's will I need a compressor tool to get those seated or are the springs low enough to zip right on?
2. the rear LCA's going on, does the suspension need to be loaded when installing these?
I've always compressed the lowering springs also. Assuming the BMR are poly or rod ended, no they don't need to be loaded. Rubber bushings operate by twisting, so they have to be tightened in their neutral position, which is what loading the suspension does for you. Poly operate like a bearing, and rod ends are a bearing, so they will operate correctly with whatever position your tighten them in.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 147 Posts

The front springs are compressed, the back springs will just slide in and out.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I just did the same swap in my car with similar parts..

Strano springs
Koni STRT
New upper mounts
ES swaybar kits
Founder's LCA
Founder's panhard upper and lower
Founder's STB
UMI relo brackets

Doing the rear on my SS was super easy. Doing the fronts took a weekend due to the bolts pulling through the new strut mounts. I had to get my own 2 1/2" bolts for those as to fit the STB better. Other than that it made the car 10x better. My 99 SS was worn out in area's. I also changed the trans mount to poly. I wished I got the UMI lowering springs. That's the look I'm after. Strano's are great but I need more low attitude.
Old 07-08-2022, 01:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper-Z
I just did the same swap in my car with similar parts..

Strano springs
Koni STRT
New upper mounts
ES swaybar kits
Founder's LCA
Founder's panhard upper and lower
Founder's STB
UMI relo brackets

Doing the rear on my SS was super easy. Doing the fronts took a weekend due to the bolts pulling through the new strut mounts. I had to get my own 2 1/2" bolts for those as to fit the STB better. Other than that it made the car 10x better. My 99 SS was worn out in area's. I also changed the trans mount to poly. I wished I got the UMI lowering springs. That's the look I'm after. Strano's are great but I need more low attitude.
Just note there is no free ride on that stuff. I have UMI too, so I can supply those, but lower and stiffer means less nice on the ride too. And I've got folks who have switched the other way to mine for that exact reason.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-08-2022, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh no doubt! I'm not knocking these springs in the slightest. I've ran them before on previous Fbodies and yours are my go-to. UMI springs are just for the look. I know the ride quality will be different but I'm cool with that. The car is a toy so I don't have to worry about daily duty.

Quick Reply: 98 Camaro suspension upgrades/questions