Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Parking brake Shoe Won’t Go Back On new axle 00 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Parking brake Shoe Won’t Go Back On new axle 00 Z28

I’m in the middle of replacing an axle and I just got it in. The problem now is with the axle installed there isn’t near enough clearance between the ABS ring & the backing plate to get the parking brake shoe on. I read the Parking Brake how-to sticky and there was no mention of messing with the axles. What gives? I tried to pry the shoe open but it’s not budging. Do I need a parking brake.. Like will there be issues getting the calipers and rotors, etc, on if I was to be an idiot and leave it off? I think I can get the shoe on it I slide the axle out a little, but why am I having to do so? Hitting a curb is the reason the axle change. The new axle went it smoothly but now I’m hung up on this.

Old 08-21-2022, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 405 Posts

Did you compare the new axle to the old one? Is the tone ring in the same location on the axle as the ole one? You all ways have to inspect your new parts, especially now adays. I never turn in a core until the new part is confirmed to the working as it should.
Old 08-21-2022, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default I believe it’s the backing plate..🤦🏻‍♂️

I removed the c clip and slid the axle back and I was able to get the parking brake shoe on. However I think the steel backing plate on the axle tube is bent. I had the rotor held on w two hand tight lug nuts and when I went to put the caliper bracket on (no pads) I noticed that on there was big gap on the inboard side but on outboard side I could barley fit the tip of a flat head screwdriver between the bracket & rotor. I haven’t done a real hard search yet but I don’t that anyone makes/sells them new other than Hawks’ $300 pair. Does anyone have one laying around? Do y’all think after a new backing plate the likely hood of me being up & running good? I guess the rotor could be bent but the old rotor was hard to get on & off the old axle flange (bent flange think) but it slides on and off the new axle easy.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by bbond105
Did you compare the new axle to the old one? Is the tone ring in the same location on the axle as the ole one? You all ways have to inspect your new parts, especially now adays. I never turn in a core until the new part is confirmed to the working as it should.
+1. The axle on my '99 (non TCS car) doesn't have that ring.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
+1. The axle on my '99 (non TCS car) doesn't have that ring.
mine has TCS.

Quick Reply: Parking brake Shoe Won’t Go Back On new axle 00 Z28