Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I still have one.... and I actually ran it, video inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 01:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Default I still have one.... and I actually ran it, video inside

After way, way too long, I got my Camaro out to an event. There are some more detail in the video description. Last tires on this car before this were BFG Rival S 1.5's from 2018. Here it is on Falken RT660's which were new, but that was the only change to the chassis or suspension since way back. It's had some engine oiling issues, and truth is still does, which is why (along with having other cars) I haven't been running it much. I hope to more, might even put the A/C back in it.

Anyway, just a reminder that very few folks do what I do around here, including this:
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
The following 6 users liked this post by Sam Strano:
99 Black Bird T/A (10-04-2022), Nathan C (09-13-2022), rednari2 (12-12-2022), rentedmule (09-14-2022), Woodylyf767 (09-18-2022), zlexiss (09-19-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-18-2022, 07:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Sweet! Carves pretty good. 2nd gear? I really need a new phone to hear properly. Speaker just crackled the entire time lol!
Old 09-18-2022, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Do you run an extra quart of oil in it when autocrossing?
Old 09-19-2022, 01:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Reaper-Z
Sweet! Carves pretty good. 2nd gear? I really need a new phone to hear properly. Speaker just crackled the entire time lol!
That was an autocross and it still has 3.42's so yeah all 2nd gear. Of course it has more gears for road course use but some details need more ironed out before it is back on a track like that.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Do you run an extra quart of oil in it when autocrossing?
No. Never have, and never an issue with this one of my White car (which is still running around). Trick is use GOOD oil, not what people think is good oil. And if you do a lot of this stuff at least Oil pan baffles too. Which the white car didn't have, at least when I owned it, it might now.

Running oil too high creates other issues, as the crank whips it up into a froth, and all those air bubbles don't protect well either. Maybe 1/2 quart high would be ok, but I just never had any issue when filled right to the top of OEM spec.
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks familiar! I assume your oiling issues are on track not autocross. I've done nothing special and have no (I shouldn't say this) issues with just autocrossing.

Nice job at Nats! First time I've ever been there, I had high expectations and had a bit of a disaster breaking the car on day 1, but that won't keep me from continuing to throw money at it. General public doesn't understand how difficult it is to stay focused mentally to perform at your potential, seems you've got it down. I'll be hitting you up for at least another set of wheels.

-Brian
Old 10-04-2022, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
No. Never have, and never an issue with this one of my White car (which is still running around). Trick is use GOOD oil, not what people think is good oil. And if you do a lot of this stuff at least Oil pan baffles too. Which the white car didn't have, at least when I owned it, it might now.

Running oil too high creates other issues, as the crank whips it up into a froth, and all those air bubbles don't protect well either. Maybe 1/2 quart high would be ok, but I just never had any issue when filled right to the top of OEM spec.
Can you elaborate more on the GOOD oil thing?
Old 10-04-2022, 06:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by GMRL
Can you elaborate more on the GOOD oil thing?
That's up to you, but I can tell you that for me it's not Mobil 1. I have personally seen 3 cars blow up on it autocrossing, in front of my own eyes. Two of those were the same day, and doing the same thing I did with the aforementioned white Z28. And most recently was a 2017 Grand Sport on the special 0w40 ESP that GM requires for the "track warranty". 45k on the car. Now that might be an oil pump but the driver shut it off immediately when it went wrong, and there is metal on the dipstick way up in the oil tank..... and the dipstick does not come near the bottom of the tank, so the oil doesn't seem like it did a very good job protecting things. And there are many other stories too. Customer had a Tahoe that drank like a fish, 1 quart every 800 towing. Changed to something else, and it quite using any oil. I had an old Datsun 280ZXT, that turbo was oil cooled only. Pressure and temp gauges, and the idle oil pressure on M1 15w50 when oil temps were 240 or higher was so bad the warning light came on. Same car same temps with Castrol GTX (non synthetic) in 10w30, held TWICE the oil pressure at idle. Think about that. Thinner oil, not synthetic oil, shearing down far less.

If it meets the spec I use, recommend and first sell Red Line Oil for performance cars/use. From there I have lots of others we might consider and use depending. But really, most things you buy in WalMart aren't exactly top of the heap, oil included.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That's up to you, but I can tell you that for me it's not Mobil 1. I have personally seen 3 cars blow up on it autocrossing, in front of my own eyes. Two of those were the same day, and doing the same thing I did with the aforementioned white Z28. And most recently was a 2017 Grand Sport on the special 0w40 ESP that GM requires for the "track warranty". 45k on the car. Now that might be an oil pump but the driver shut it off immediately when it went wrong, and there is metal on the dipstick way up in the oil tank..... and the dipstick does not come near the bottom of the tank, so the oil doesn't seem like it did a very good job protecting things. And there are many other stories too. Customer had a Tahoe that drank like a fish, 1 quart every 800 towing. Changed to something else, and it quite using any oil. I had an old Datsun 280ZXT, that turbo was oil cooled only. Pressure and temp gauges, and the idle oil pressure on M1 15w50 when oil temps were 240 or higher was so bad the warning light came on. Same car same temps with Castrol GTX (non synthetic) in 10w30, held TWICE the oil pressure at idle. Think about that. Thinner oil, not synthetic oil, shearing down far less.

If it meets the spec I use, recommend and first sell Red Line Oil for performance cars/use. From there I have lots of others we might consider and use depending. But really, most things you buy in WalMart aren't exactly top of the heap, oil included.
Would you recommend against M1 for daily/towing if it doesn't consume a lot? I use redline in my track car but M1 euro in Yukon, figured it couldn't hurt since I'm not running sustained high rpm.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Nope. There are plenty of other options that we've never run into any issues with. OK, your truck doesn't use any oil that's not the only measure of anything.

If in a regular street vehicle like my daily driver S U V Appliance you want to run something that isn't Hard to find or super expensive, then I opt for Valvoline.
mikedamageinc (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope. There are plenty of other options that we've never run into any issues with. OK, your truck doesn't use any oil that's not the only measure of anything.

If in a regular street vehicle like my daily driver S U V Appliance you want to run something that isn't Hard to find or super expensive, then I opt for Valvoline.
Plain Valvoline synthetic? High mileage, or other?
Old 10-05-2022, 02:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Again, everyone has an opinion. I use either Castrol Edge or Valvoline Advance Synthetic.
mikedamageinc (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Again, everyone has an opinion. I use either Castrol Edge or Valvoline Advance Synthetic.
I like opinions, the more I can hear from people that know what they're talking about is how I can form mine so thanks!

Quick Reply: I still have one.... and I actually ran it, video inside