Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowered suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered suspension

I bought my 35th anniversary SS from mu buddy who had the suspension lowered. Ride heights are even, but the rear axle is resting on the bump stops making the springs ineffective. Seriously rough ride. Not sure what brand of springs he used. I'm wanting to correct this issue and could use some input. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2022, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I would suggest new front and rear lowing springs from bmr, Umi, strano. A set of matching shocks if the ones on the car are leaking or bad. Koni orange, or yellows, or Bilsteins. A set of rear helper bags to go inside of the rear spring helped mine out.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try 1" spacers on the rear springs first and see how that works.
Old 09-19-2022, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by a6loopers
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try 1" spacers on the rear springs first and see how that works.

If it's sitting that low there is a problem, 1" of suspension travel is simply not enough..... are the rubber coil spring seats still on top of the rear springs?
Old 09-20-2022, 10:58 AM
Teching In

I'll find that out when I install the spacers. If not,the local jobber has them in stock.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

What color are the springs? Can you take a picture of the gap between the bump stop and the axle on the rear? It's actually okay that it sits pretty close. Your big problem mostly is likely due to crappy shocks. They will make or break the way a car works. Of course there are better Springs and worse springs, and sometimes people could take a decent spring and make it worse because they then cut on it.

It would be good to just deal with some facts. At least I think that's important.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-28-2022, 08:45 AM
Teching In

The springs are black, not sure of the shock brand. The bump stops are resting on top of the axle tubes. No clearance.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

The pro kits aren't typically that low. Are they flat black or kind of a metallic dark gray? Just trying to figure out if maybe they are cut stock Springs. Doesn't mean if there's something else they aren't also cut but nonetheless it sounds like you just need better Springs at minimum.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-28-2022, 12:33 PM
Teching In

They are flat black. Just spoke to my buddy I got the car from, he said it was lowered 2" in the rear, 1.5" in the front. At that time the bump stops weren't resting on the axle tubes. He wasn't sure what was done to lower it, whether original springs were modified or a different kit was installed. They must have sagged over time. I'll find out when I get them out.
Old 10-01-2022, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Just finished my project, it's nice to now have suspension !! There are Eibach springs on the car, rear rubber spring seats were still installed. I added McBay Performance 1" spacers to the bottom of the springs, so now there's clearance between the bump stops and axle tubes. Removed the titanium panhard LCA's and track bar, replaced them with Spohn Performance parts that have grease-able bushings. Now it's time for a road trip !!! Thanks to all y'all for the input.

Quick Reply: Lowered suspension