Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Umi lowering springs Rear end uneven..?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Umi lowering springs Rear end uneven..?

Hey guys, this has been driving me nuts the past few days and was wondering if anyone else has this issue.

For suspension mods I've got running right now:
koni str shocks with umi lowering springs
umi front and rear Sway bars
umi lcas with relocation kit
umi torque arm with umi tranny mount
umi tubular sfcs
umi adj panhard bar (with upper bar) with relocation

everything looks great except the fact that the passenger side rear end is almost an inch higher than the driver side...

I also notice when I jack the car up from the rear end the passenger side rises up almost 1/2 a ft before the driver side starts to lift up.. it's almost like something is binding that side..

I've tried messin around with the spring rotation, re unbolting all the suspension parts and torqued them down with the car sitting on the ground still the same deal

am I missing something here 🤔

Passenger side

Driverside
Old 09-23-2022, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

If you unbolt the passenger side shock does gap close up? Have you swapped springs from one side to the other to see if the issue follows the spring?
Old 09-23-2022, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
If you unbolt the passenger side shock does gap close up? Have you swapped springs from one side to the other to see if the issue follows the spring?
yeah I'm gonna mess around with it again tonight, I'll try unbolting the shock an see what happens
Old 09-23-2022, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 405 Posts

Are the springs seated the isolator correctly?
Old 09-24-2022, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Are the part numbers on the springs the same?
Old 09-24-2022, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

If you just installed these springs, you should have indexed them, that is before removing your old spring, mark with chaulk the top end of the spring to the rubber seat. When installing the new springs, line up the top of the new spring to the chalk mark on the rubber seat. Doing this should ensure the vehicle staying at level height. JMHO (dont kill the messenger).
Old 09-24-2022, 12:09 PM
Teching In

I think I may have figured it out, it looks like it's the UMI end links messing with the rear end alignment

I took out the endlink sitting on the passenger side (the side that's high)

Passenger side end link removed

and now here's how both sides look like

this is while the end link on the diver side is still on. When I pull up and down on the passenger side swaybar end with the link removed that you can see how it twists everything especailly wheel height on the opposing side.

sooo question is how do I fix this... lol I guess I need adjustable end links?

or maybe somehow modify these endlinks..

Old 09-28-2022, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can shorten the sleeve a little or add some washers to lengthen.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Hey just an update

I've been messing around with the suspension for hours for the past few days, was able to also get my rear end nice and squared up too as driver side wheel was 1/2" out vs the passenger side (lca adjustment) and panhard adjustments

SO..just for ***** I also undid the front sway bar and I believe this the issue, I left the rear alone as I busted out the measuring tape and everything seemed fine.. the front driver side endlink was pulling the car down by 1/2" causing the rear passenger right side to raise up. I know this because I was fiddling around with the suspension and at one point the driver side rear was now almost an 1in higher, it's like the lean swapped sides when I was messing around.

Here's how the car looks like when I undid the front driver side swaybar endlink after driving it around

Passenger side (same as driverside now just a weird angle)

Now the car sits level

Diverside

Obligatory engine bay pic 👀 got some tidying up to do

so it's either the swaybar is off, something kmember related, front lcas.. or front strut related.. 🤔

Last edited by Ivan02ws6; 09-28-2022 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:05 PM
Teching In

I ended up cutting 1/2" off of the endlink sleeve on the passenger side endlink to raise the bar on the driver side to prevent any binding/preload while tightening up the driver side endlink and that seemed to fix the problem, this needs to be done with the front suspension loaded. Car is now perfectly level.

Took the car for a spin and wowww, the cornering and response is now absolutely night and day and here i thought it was already good having the UMI gear installed and before fixing the leaning issue

Adjustable endlinks here would probably work really good here.

Quick Reply: Umi lowering springs Rear end uneven..?